Smoking Ban in Cambodia

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Simon@Garage
Expatriate

Smoking Ban in Cambodia

Post by Simon@Garage »

Have any other bar owners given this much thought?

I was thinking about ignoring it and coughing up the fine if I have a visit. Is anybody planning to enforce it? As far as I can recall it starts on the 16th of September

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/smo ... line-looms
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Smoking ban

Post by General Mackevili »

I was under the impression that you pay a few bucks the first time, but after that you risk having your establishment closed down.

Maybe put up some huge NO SMOKING signs and hide the ashtrays, label them "snack trays" and throw a couple peanuts in them and only bring them out when requested.

At least it will look like you've tried to comply, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Simon@Garage
Expatriate

Post by Simon@Garage »

General Mackevili wrote:I was under the impression that you pay a few bucks the first time, but after that you risk having your establishment closed down.

Maybe put up some huge NO SMOKING signs and hide the ashtrays, label them "snack trays" and throw a couple peanuts in them and only bring them out when requested.

Not a bad tactic mate
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I wonder if making it a "private" club would skirt such problems. It's not a "public" place then maybe? Any questions, say people get temp trial membership and so on.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Simon@Garage wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:I was under the impression that you pay a few bucks the first time, but after that you risk having your establishment closed down.

Not a bad tactic mate
:thumb: I'd second this. Look like you're trying. If you can get a copy of the law, frame it and stick it on the wall next to one of the NO SMOKING signs. It's in Khmer, doesn't matter. It's there for the police and not the customers.

That said, I'm not a bar owner in PP, and it would be surprising if they don't check out the foreigner bars to pick up some spare bucks when the law goes into effect. You bar owners should be sticking together - spread the word around to the others as soon as police turn up.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if you get more stick from grumbling expats or tourists saying "But, but, but it says No Smoking!" than from the police; Lol. :whip:
bigdunc
Tourist

Post by bigdunc »

should not allow smoking where people are eating. Food and cigs need to be seperated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic