The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Travel plans, advice, trip reports... we want to hear it all.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 5081
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Location: CEO Newsroom

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby CEOCambodiaNews » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm

What will this mean for Hanoi's street food ?

Hanoi to extinguish sidewalk cooking fires to improve city’s image
March 18, 2017

People cooking over tiny stoves on the sidewalk might soon be a thing of the past.

Hanoi’s new etiquette rules include a ban on cooking on the sidewalk to improve the city’s image.

Open-air cooking is so common in Hanoi that it seems as if half of the city’s population is sitting around sidewalk fires all day.

Hanoi is renowned for its street food, with stalls selling everything from complicated soups and meat skewers, to noodles and baguettes.

It is not uncommon to see local people sitting down on plastic stools at a table covered with tarp to enjoy a meal.

Since the cost of a gas or charcoal stove is relatively low, restaurant owners and residents prefer them to indoor electric ovens.

Hanoi has been working on etiquette rules since 2012, most of which are intended to prevent acts such as littering, spitting, urinating in public, using bad language and dressing in a provocative or indecent way.

-VNExpress
Cambodia Expats Online helping you stay connected to news and current events in Cambodia and surrounding areas.
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby ExPenhMan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:54 pm

What will become of VN if they stop street vendors selling phở? Really?
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby hanno » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm

That would be devastating but the campaign to clean up sidewalks is in full swing. I was in Ha Noi last week and they are removing everything, including the little concrete ramps people use to get the motorbikes into the houses.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 5362
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby Anchor Moy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm

hanno wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm
That would be devastating but the campaign to clean up sidewalks is in full swing. I was in Ha Noi last week and they are removing everything, including the little concrete ramps people use to get the motorbikes into the houses.
I presume that when the Vietnamese clean up, they really clean up - not like the usual Cambodian announcements which last for a few days before fizzling out and then back to same old, same old... ?
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby hanno » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 am

Anchor Moy wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm
hanno wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm
That would be devastating but the campaign to clean up sidewalks is in full swing. I was in Ha Noi last week and they are removing everything, including the little concrete ramps people use to get the motorbikes into the houses.
I presume that when the Vietnamese clean up, they really clean up - not like the usual Cambodian announcements which last for a few days before fizzling out and then back to same old, same old... ?
True that. Might not always work the first time around (motorbike helmets), but eventually they get their act together.
User avatar
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby Trinitysmackstain » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 am

hanno wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm
That would be devastating but the campaign to clean up sidewalks is in full swing. I was in Ha Noi last week and they are removing everything, including the little concrete ramps people use to get the motorbikes into the houses.
Thats south east asia nowadays they are "cleaning up" all the interesting cool shit.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 5362
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby Anchor Moy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Trinitysmackstain wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 am

Thats south east asia nowadays they are "cleaning up" all the interesting cool shit.
Yeah it's getting far too clean. :facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 5362
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Postby Anchor Moy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:02 am

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm
What will this mean for Hanoi's street food ?

Hanoi to extinguish sidewalk cooking fires to improve city’s image
March 18, 2017

People cooking over tiny stoves on the sidewalk might soon be a thing of the past.

Hanoi’s new etiquette rules include a ban on cooking on the sidewalk to improve the city’s image...

:plus1: Excellent - Hanoi street food festival to be held from 7-9 April.


Over 1,000 world, Vietnamese dishes to be on display at street food festival

Published: 22/03/2017 13:08

HANOI, March 22 (Xinhua) -- Visitors at Vietnam's first-ever international street food festival will have chance to taste over 1,000 Vietnamese and world dishes, the National Administration of Vietnam Tourism (VNAT) said on Wednesday.

VNAT, the sponsor of the event, was quoted by local Tien Phong (Pioneer) newspaper as saying that the Food Fest 2017 will take place in the capital of Hanoi on April 7-9.

During the three-day festival, over 100 activities will be held, including exploring good dishes of Vietnam, Asia and Europe, joining Vietnam Food Art photo contest, and tasting over 200 wines from eight countries among others.
Freshnews

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “On The Road”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests