Raid at tiger temple

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Raid at tiger temple

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Shocking conditions revealed in Thailand's remaining tourist tiger venues ahead of World Tiger Day this Friday.
Seventeen tiger entertainment venues in Thailand where ‘shocking’ abuses of the animals were witnessed. Picture: World Animal ProtectionSource:Supplied
Animal rights group World Animal Protection has revealed findings from its secret investigation into 17 major Thai entertainment venues in its report, Tiger selfies exposed: a portrait of Thailand’s tiger entertainment industry.

Released ahead of World Tiger Day on Friday, the report is the first comprehensive analysis of the use of tigers in entertainment in Thailand, World Animal Protection said.

And it follows growing outrage about the use of these animals in tourism in light of Thailand’s Tiger Temple scandal last month.

World Animal Protection researchers anonymously visited 17 tiger tourism venues between March 2015 and June 2016 and found evidence of as many as 830 tigers held captive — 207 more than they found in a similar study in 2010.

Researchers saw the animals subjected to “shocking” conditions — chained, held in small cages, whipped and prodded with bamboo sticks to pose for tourists’ photos...
Full article: http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-tra ... 6998cbac8a

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Marcos
Tourist

Post by Marcos »

I am going say that I also like tiger temple. Let me shared with you some images of tigers. Which I have captured personally.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Marcos wrote:I am going say that I also like tiger temple. Let me shared with you some images of tigers. Which I have captured personally.
good job, wheres the t rex in this shot?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Let me shared with you some images of tigers. Which I have captured personally.
personally hate people that post others images and claim credit :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thailand’s Tiger Tourism Expanding Despite Raid on Tiger TemplePhoto: Chiangrai Times.
A young tourist poses for a photo with an albino tiger in Thailand
BANGKOK – Thailand’s tiger tourism business is booming and the captive tiger population is growing fast, experts say, more than two months after Thai wildlife authorities found scores of dead cubs while rescuing animals from the popular Tiger Temple.

Animal rights activists called on tourists to shun Thai animal attractions, which they say are cruel and should be shut down, after the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi province, west of Bangkok, closed in June.

Thai wildlife authorities vowed to inspect other tiger attractions, and confiscated 24 tigers from two venues, but the scrutiny has been short-lived.

“On the ground, nothing has changed,” said Jan Schmidt-Burbach, a Bangkok-based wildlife adviser for the World Animal Protection NGO. “The Tiger Temple case has brought attention to the topic but is unfortunately limited to the temple itself.”

A July report by World Animal Protection shows that the number of captive tigers in Thailand’s tiger entertainment industry jumped 33 percent, from 623 tigers in 2010 to 830 tigers in 2015-2016. Eight new venues also opened during the period...
http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands ... emple.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tiger Temple: Large tracts of land reclaimed for public use in Kanchanaburi
Public officials were busy in the Sai Yok area yesterday reclaiming three plots of land comprising some 3,000 rai.
The land was subject to illegal encroachment by the Tiger temple, an unnamed association and another unnamed influential individual.
The land includes various properties illegally constructed. All the plots are in the Sai Yok area of Kanchanaburi.
The land will have public access in future.

http://www.samuitimes.com/tiger-temple- ... chanaburi/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE:
Over half of the captive tigers taken from the Tiger Temple three years have died of tongue paralysis from stress
15 Sept 2019
Eighty-six out of a total of 147 tigers kept at two wildlife breeding stations in Ratchaburi province after they were confiscated from a forest monastery in Thailand’s western province of Kanchanaburi about three years ago have died from Laryngeal tongue paralysis.

A well-informed source told Thai PBS that some of the tigers were diagnosed of suffering from Laryngeal tongue paralysis when they were first moved from Luangta Bua Yannasampanno forest monastery in Kanchanaburi province to the Khao Pratab Chang wildlife breeding station in Ratchaburi province in June 2016.

The source said that most of the tigers confiscated from the forest monastery, also known as Tiger Temple which used to be a tourist attraction, were captive bred Siberian tigers and, therefore, did not have natural immunity, rendering them weak and susceptible to diseases.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-half- ... om-stress/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Tigers in bird cages
bears in chains
dolphins in swimming pools

(weep)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:38 pm UPDATE:
Over half of the captive tigers taken from the Tiger Temple three years have died of tongue paralysis from stress
15 Sept 2019
Eighty-six out of a total of 147 tigers kept at two wildlife breeding stations in Ratchaburi province after they were confiscated from a forest monastery in Thailand’s western province of Kanchanaburi about three years ago have died from Laryngeal tongue paralysis
https://www.foxnews.com/science/86-tige ... emple-died
86 tigers rescued from infamous temple in Thailand have died, local media report
Over half of the 147 tigers confiscated from the Tiger Temple - a tourist attraction where visitors could take selfies with the big cats - have died in captivity within the last three years, local media reported.

The Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua or Tiger Temple, located west of Bangkok, promoted itself as a wildlife sanctuary that charged visitors admission to interact with the animals.

However, just three years ago, the government removed 147 tigers after the site was linked to wildlife trafficking.

Buddhist monks with a tiger at the tourist attraction.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/86-tige ... emple-died
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

have visited the monks and tigers a few times over past years, just the same has many tourists have
done also, it’s also an experience that is never forgotten “walking with tigers”.
But here I am standing on the fence over this one. I know this sounds wrong to some, and may be
about ethics and its cruelty. But where did it all start, monks and the raising of their temple tigers.
I recall someone telling the story of the two orphan cubs was the beginning, not a story too hard to
believe in, it had to start somehow like that, what is a shame is what it materialised into, being that it
grew into a money-making type of amusement park with an added dark side of traded animal parts.
Monks and tigers would always be in the public eye, also more so in this part of the world being fact it turned
into a good money scheme for some, and now so it seems the same old word of corruption once
again. The media have the situation well publicised, while authorities are truly once in denial.
What I find difficult on the times I had been there, is that there were always western people,
veterinarians animal handlers, and so on, working alongside of the monks, it's strange that none of
the people didn’t notice anything untoward.
I can say I certainly didn't have any interests in the type of showmanship that was put on there to
trill the public at the end of the day. The same feelings I have, goes for zoo’s, but for some it is the
only opportunity to see many types of animal. Man, and beast, in the animal's environment the
unarmed person would always be pray to the big cat. In the past I have trekked in the big parks of
India, but never been lucky to catch the slightest glimpse of the tiger. Leopards and deer but, never
the elusive tiger.
But this story of the monks and the temple tigers is a sad end with the government taking charge
and 86 tigers die in their custody over 3 years. And still no convictions of any monks or people
working before at the temple park.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic