Turkeys !!!

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Turkeys !!!

Post by Mr Curious »

they'll eat rotten fish and lizards, but not turkey. Go figger. That's a lotta food walking around. They don't eat em when the pet dies? what? cremate at the temple? wtF?
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

After losing a lot of birds (including some rather expensive bantams), I insist on vaccines now (1000r per chick to be done twice). Hey presto! Birds not dead now.

Typical Khmer style, building the fence after buffalo runs goes the idiom here.

On the turkey note, I heard somewhere that a parasite in chicken shit that chickens have no problem with but turkeys die from, so chickens and turkeys should be kept separate. Is this true?
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I don't know about here, but we ran turkeys and chickens together when I was a kid without problems.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Could be this
Blackhead disease (also known simply as blackhead) is a commercially important avian disease that affects chickens, turkeys and other poultry birds. The disease carries a high mortality rate and primarily affects the liver and cecum. It is a form of histomoniasis which is transmitted by the protozoan parasite Histomonas meleagridis. The protozoan is in turn transmitted by the nematode parasite Heterakis gallinarum.[1][2] H. meleagridis resides within the eggs of H. gallinarum, so birds ingest the parasites along with contaminated soil or food.[3] Earthworms can also act as a paratenic host. A characteristic symptom of the infection is the development of cyanotic (bluish) discoloration on the head, giving rise to the common name of the disease, "blackhead".[4]

Poultry (especially free-ranging) and wild birds commonly harbor a number of parasitic worms with only mild health problems from them. Turkeys are much more susceptible to getting blackhead than are chickens. Thus, chickens can be infected carriers for a long time because they are not removed or medicated by their owners, and they do not die or stop eating/defecating. H. gallinarum eggs can remain infective in soil for four years, a high risk of transmitting blackhead to turkeys remains if they graze areas with chicken feces[5] in this time frame.

The most common symptom of blackhead disease is yellow, watery bird droppings. To reduce the spreading of the disease, sick birds must be removed and their litter changed.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote:when I was a kid without problems.
Dude, you had problems from birth! :lol:
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:when I was a kid without problems.
Dude, you had problems from birth! :lol:
You quote like dagenham (and that's nothing like having moves like Beckham).
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just to renew an old thread, A pet shop at Takhmau always seems to have a supply of live turkeys for sale, along with rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens.

Just saying ,, if anyone is interested.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

My neighbour has some which sometimes stray into my garden. Was a bit freaked out when I first heard then saw them the first time at dawn.
rossetti
Tourist

Post by rossetti »

Duncan wrote:Just to renew an old thread, A pet shop at Takhmau always seems to have a supply of live turkeys for sale, along with rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens.

Hey Duncan and greetings from Siem Reap. Do you have any current info on Turkeys? Thanks
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rossetti wrote:
Duncan wrote:Just to renew an old thread, A pet shop at Takhmau always seems to have a supply of live turkeys for sale, along with rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens.

Hey Duncan and greetings from Siem Reap. Do you have any current info on Turkeys? Thanks
Are you looking to buy some ? I will check the pet shop tomorrow to see if they still have some for sale. Usually they do have .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic