Buffalo Sister Sunday Roast Review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Buffalo Sister Sunday Roast Review

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

vladimir wrote:Maybe admin can delete my thread now, or merge the two, this one is way more comprehensive.
Hah! Just noticed both you and Dara were also there. Like Dara, I like seeing a kitchen. Means you can see if it's clean or not. They definitely keep on top of cleanliness.

I also agree it was hot, but luckily the sun didn't come anywhere near me and they have big fans pointed in every direction so I actually found it cooler than (the inside) at Cavern. It's also slightly more interesting to people watch on 19 than 104. I'm guessing they only stock one beer for simplicity's sake, but the blood mary's at Cavern make for a nice prolonged afternoon of drinking. Your comment regarding the roast potatoes proves that food is highly subjective. I definitely liked them (rosemary and garlic was nice), but they would have been better if I could have mashed them in gravy.

I also agree with this quote by Dara:
The guy who owns the place reminds me of Krisdunks in that he says
hello, but doesn't take all your lunch time doing so.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

One place I will visit in future is the Khmer restaurant opposite BS.

They have two shop frontages, and prices and the menu look interesting.

OD, I think if you're going to insist on all that stuff for reviews, the only thing you can be sure of is less reviews.

A street name/number and the name of the restaurant should suffice even for direction-challenged people like myself.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

They're not restaurants - they're flea bitten backpacker hostels; longlin, white river, happy house - that sort of crap.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Jerry Atrick wrote:They're not restaurants - they're flea bitten backpacker hostels; longlin, white river, happy house - that sort of crap.
Ha! I half agree, but their club sandwich is good, as are some of their baguette melts.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I had the beef roast today at Cavern, and it was definitely a better experience than BS.

Why?

Seating is more comfortable, the place was cooler than outside at BS, the many condiments - English mustard, A1, HP, tomato sauce etc. are put near you by default, the place is bigger, more food by volume (though both places cooked their food very well), Cavern also gives you this huge gravy boat.

I think the staff at Cavern are also better trained.

I really feel BS should find other premises, they cannot reach their full potential for roasts in hobbit-quarters. For sandwiches, no problem, but roasts, no.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

vladimir wrote:I had the beef roast today at Cavern, and it was definitely a better experience than BS.

Why?

Seating is more comfortable, the place was cooler than outside at BS, the many condiments - English mustard, A1, HP, tomato sauce etc. are put near you by default, the place is bigger, more food by volume (though both places cooked their food very well), Cavern also gives you this huge gravy boat.

I think the staff at Cavern are also better trained.

I really feel BS should find other premises, they cannot reach their full potential for roasts in hobbit-quarters. For sandwiches, no problem, but roasts, no.
I have to rebuff this. I was at cavern today and IMHO it was hotter inside than any other time I have been at BS.

Being able to enjoy a meal or beer in a place that I don't sweat my balls off trumps most things IMO.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah I'd have to agree with kiwi. Cavern is a sauna. The low ceiling might have been a good idea look-wise, but it proves to be a terrible design-flaw in the tropics. The only comfortable place at Cavern is outside, but I only manage to squeeze a spot there 1/4 of the time. There's always some degenerate Saffer there with his pommie friends. :whip:

I sat outside at BF and found it quite cool. They had a big fan pointed directly at my back and I distinctively remember thinking to myself that it was cooler than Cavern (despite the afternoon sun hitting the awning above me).

As for the roast, I agree with some of your points. A bit more food (+ a crackling), but I especially like the gravy boat at Cavern. Lack of gravy was one of my biggest critiques of BF's roast as it made the meat and potatoes a bit dry.

Service was good, but I sat outside like an idiot for a while before realizing it was one of those "self-serve" places. Staff at Cavern are often confused. The manager is often frustrated (sometimes rightfully, sometimes not) with the staff. I always confuse the owner with the manager (who is Robbie? The owner or the manager? I can't remember their names). Anyways, there's a big turnover at Cavern and although the cooks are good (saw one of their old main cooks at an Aussie place on 108 a while back), the waitresses sometimes have trouble understanding very basic requests. Not unheard of in Cambodia but I certainly wouldn't say the service is much better at Cavern. Then again, Cavern is a bar, not a sandwich shop. Still, they asked me if I wanted more beer...

As for you saying it's too small, I'd counter that they're not aiming for the sit-in clientele. The lamb was sold-out when I arrived (afternoon had just started) and the beef was almost gone. They get tons of catering-type deliveries. Again, I agree that the place is not conducive to long-term seating, drinking and chatting. But that's obviously not their main business model. I think they're primarily a sandwich bar but saw a niche market for a monthly roast, and it seems they're doing well with it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote:Being able to enjoy a meal or beer in a place that I don't sweat my balls off trumps most things IMO.
Personally, I hate this. Especially as I go commando.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:Being able to enjoy a meal or beer in a place that I don't sweat my balls off trumps most things IMO.
Personally, I hate this. Especially as I go commando.
I feel your pain brother.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic