Wild cats, cocaine and claims of a police set-up

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Wild cats, cocaine and claims of a police set-up

Post by Anchor Moy »

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... ice-set-up

Superstar 'Yuyee' is serving 15 years for importing a tiny quantity of drugs, but her Spanish celebrity husband says she is the victim of a nefarious revenge plot.
The case was on the front page of all local newspapers last year: superstar Chachchaya “Yuyee” Cuesta Ramos sentenced to 15 years for smuggling 251 milligrammes of cocaine.
It was the result, her family says, of an ordeal that involved a leopard rescue, encounters with powerful officials and a trumped-up drugs charge.
Anyone remember this case ? Quite a media event from the sound of it. And she's still in prison.

THE RESCUE
Mr Ramos and Yuyee, 42, have been involved in wildlife rescue efforts for more than a decade and have been volunteers at the Thai Animal Guardians Association (AGA) since 2002. In that time, the couple rescued more than 1,000 animals and released them into the wild.

When they received a phone call in May 2012 about a juvenile leopard being held at a remote house, they were able to rescue it and take it to authorities at Dusit Zoo a few days later.

The leopards are normally sent to Europe in suitcases, where they can fetch a price of 10,000 euros (about 380,000 baht). A rare black leopard, or one with a perfect pattern, can fetch up to five times that. The value of the four to five-month-old Indochinese leopard Mr Ramos and Yuyee rescued was estimated at about half a million baht.

“If we had known that leopard was going to somebody powerful, we wouldn’t have gone,” said Mr Ramos, who is a veterinarian and a TV host for the Discovery Channel.

A week after the rescue, Mr Ramos said, two uniformed policemen arrived at the couple’s house on a motorcycle and told them to prepare 400,000 baht. They gave no reason for demanding the cash.

But several weeks later, police raided their house, accusing the couple of possessing wild animals. Yuyee explained that the 50 animals had been rescued and were being held in “quarantine” prior to release into national parks. Officers confiscated four snakes and an owl.

AGA secretary-general Roger Lohanan accompanied the police on the day of the incident in an attempt to explain to them that Yuyee was a volunteer, and that the animals were injured and could not yet be released. He said the organisation’s volunteers are usually exempt from the law, as they work together with forestry officials.

“But there was probably a complication on that day, such as the large media presence at the time,” he told Spectrum.
Therapist
Expatriate

Re: Wild cats, cocaine and claims of a police set-up

Post by Therapist »

I find this story disturbing. I don’t remember it but thanks for bringing it up.

My warped sense of reality finds Thailand very open and accepting when it comes to issue such as sexual-orientation but Medieval when it comes to issues involving self-harm/ victim-less crimes. When I lived in Bangkok, I heard rumors that Thaksin had permitted extra-judicial executions of drug-dealers/ users; and also that a redneck good-old boy 1%er wanted to take over Nana Plaza. I remember thinking no way… I was both naive and wrong. Today, both those gentleman have lost their fiefdoms by natural or un-natural causes. Funny that army unit that sold meth/yaba in Patpong is still there.

So this Chachchaya “Yuyee” Cuesta Ramos gets 15 yrs for 1.55-5 mgs of cocaine? That makes sense...NOT!
In 1999 Luis Garavito confessed to murdering 140 children and is serving 22 years. In 1983, Pedro López was found guilty of murdering 110 young girls in Ecuador alone and confessed to a further 240 murders. In 1998, he was released on $50 bail; whereabouts unknown.

I don’t condone or condemn drug use or any form of self-harm but how is it a crime if there is no evidence of endangerment to others? There are so many mind-boggling, maddening things in the “civilized” world! Give her a slap on the wrist or deport her to Spain, but 15 years? Something stinks in Thailand and it’s not the durian. Thai ties to the Thai army are better than political connections since the coup.

But still better than those poor bastards in Bali. :(
Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

Okay the second part of the story is confusing. They've clearly made some enemies and didnt pay the 400,000 baht. They're being charged with processing wild animals illegally and the police are the heroes; etc.

Okay, so this transpired first and later they got her for possession of a couple of mgs of cocaine. Wish she'd have stayed away from Thailand if she knew there was bad blood there with the authorities.

I stand by my first post. Something stinks.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Therapist wrote:I stand by my first post. Something stinks.
For anybody that's lived there, it's taken as a given.

Far prefer Cambodia myself.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Do petitions have a place on forums ? Interesting smackdown by TV here. Would you do this on CEO ?
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/834 ... ree-yuyee/
Sign the Petition to Free Yuyee
Started by pkspeaker, 2015-06-21 07:58
Just read the article in today's Spectrum; this woman was framed with a didly amount of cocaine (2 grams) and given 15 years because she helps wildlife, she has been in prison for a year already, please do what you can to help.
TV mod reply:
Posted 2015-06-21 08:15:35
5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.
Closed
Would Yuyee be classed as religious, political or governmental ? Officially she is just an ex-model who was arrested with 2 grams of coke. :Search:
Just wondering if they are particularly paranoid because it's Thailand or if this is standard forum practice.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Discovery Channel adventurer calls for justice for his Thai wife

The husband of jailed Thai ex-supermodel Yuyee has called for justice and the release of his wife.

The hashtag started by Frank Cuesta is #freeyuyee and is trending around the world. There is also a campaign on Instagram calling for the release of the mother of four, Thai Rath reported.

The appeal court in Thailand has just confirmed her 15 year 3 month sentence after she was caught at Don Muang airport in 2012 with 0.251 (251 milligrams) of cocaine. She has also been ordered to pay a fine of 1.5 million baht.

Frank Cuesta is a vet and adventurer currently famous for the Discovery Channel show “Wild Frank”.

Many have said that the sentence for the Thai actress was overly harsh especially when compared to others caught with drugs.
Thai Rath/ Samui Times
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic