Just delivered to my inlaws

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Just delivered to my inlaws

Post by OrangeDragon »

Seeds.
Large jack-o-lantern/pie pumpkins.
Large "congo" watermelons.
Large style eggplant
Beefsteak tomato

And a few others... will keep everyone updated on how well they grow as they are planted and it progresses. Waiting for the rainy season given how much water the large fruits require.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Just delivered to my inlaws

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm guessing it'll take a few seasons to make them grow properly (those which will actually take root). The climate, strength of the sun and number of daylight hours will certainly affect growth. Do keep us updated though. I almost brought back a few different kinds of carrots in December. I somehow doubt the jack-o-lantern pumpkins will work here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Well, Cambodia rainy season is about the same amount of heat/moisture/sun as we get in Missouri through the summer... which is our growing season for those things as well. The pumpkins grow into early fall usually... so not sure how the lack of a cool off period will impact them (if at all). Big thing is keeping them watered... thirsty plants. They're planting them around a fish farming pond though which should help give them some decent nutrient and moisture.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Will be an interesting exercise.

Seasons play a big part in what will grow where (around the planet), not just climate. Some plants/seeds need winters and/or frosts. Some seeds need to be eaten by large birds and pooped out the other end, otherwise they won't germinate. Some seeds need bush-fires (forest fires) to propagate.

Number of daylight hours, as Lexus mentioned, plays a huge part in the life cycle of plants. In Cambodia, the length of daytime has very little variance throughout the year.

I'm sure there must be quite a few expats that have brought back seeds from home and tried this already. Would be nice to get some feedback from them as to what worked and what didn't.
Where's Giblet? :evil:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I suspect you'd have to trellis pumpkins here to get them to produce out of season, or have great drainage. Keen to see how the tomatoes fare though.

Anyone get any further with hydroponics? Central (that bulk wholesaler) on 271 has a vertical wall of lettuce that seems to be doing well.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

You should take a leaf out of their book.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

vladimir wrote:You should take a leaf out of their book.

Why not take a root ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic