Turkeys !!!

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Turkeys !!!

Post by Mr Curious »

They would seem to be a more bang for your buck bird. My first hosts had folks next door that had two WONDERFUL big beautiful gobblers (well, one gobbler, one hen and some chicks). Thanksgiving pic stuff. Moms would get a hoot outta me goin over to the fence and doin a hokey turkey call and then the tom would start up, she'd LAUGH. They also spread out rice straw in big long piles, water it down from the waterhole that seems to be in most yards there and then cover it with plastic. Pops worked with French NGO's for many years and explained they taught ppl how to grow mushrooms in such a way. Oddly they did not have any turkeys in later years.

oh...he heard me :)

there he goes...

I can't say I've ever knowingly had turkey in Cambodia, but can't imagine why not unless the ppl that raise em keep them for family only. But then it should be an extra money thing if sold in markets or food stalls no?
Last edited by Mr Curious on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Turkeys !!!

Post by General Mackevili »

Is that Giblet?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

hey bub...not to derail my own thread or anything but is there a Follow thread button somewhere I'm not seeing?
don't think it's THE Giblet as she is taller and not feathery.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Also unlikely that she actually wears poultry diapers.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Mr Curious wrote:hey bub...not to derail my own thread or anything but is there a Follow thread button somewhere I'm not seeing?
don't think it's THE Giblet as she is taller and not feathery.
At the bottom of page: Subscribe topic
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They're around, but definitely not common. I've seen them out in the boonies in Kompong Cham, Kompong Chnang and Kampot. Usually only a few birds raised for fun by a family. Only one of them seemed to be breeding them for chicks. Apparently the main breeding farm is somewhere in Kompong Cham (most seem to have bought them from there). I'd love to raise a few for shits and giggles. I've got land now, but I simply wouldn't have the time to look after them as I'm in the city. Not sure if they need the same inoculation as chickens. They might be susceptible to other types of diseases for all I know. Still, turkey tastes great!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you can vaccinate all poultry with the thermostable newcastle disease vaccine. it is just a few drops in the eye once a month and very inexpensive- around $0.20/dose.
70-% and more of the village chickens die every year between september and november from ND.
Because- they do not vaccinate!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have raised hundreds of turkeys on the farm in my earlier years. The light brown, creamier coloured ones, and I did see couple of that type for sale at the ''old market'' a couple of years ago. When the chicks are hatched, always take them off the mother, as they are bad mothers and will wander off with one chick leaving the others behind. They can easy be raised in a pen in a small space like your balcony or you spare room and if I find a couple of chicks I will do that.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I'd love to raise a few for shits and giggles.
Classic! Turkeys produce plenty of both.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I've been told that Cambodians only raise turkeys as pets, not to eat. I thought about getting a few, but I prefer more conventionally attractive poultry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic