Cambodians return home

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Cambodians return home

Post by OrangeDragon »

And I discussed these miraculous $4 passports with my wife tonight, thinking about our nephew. The process for getting one is a nightmare. You have to have about 4 different papers from different government offices in your village, your commune, and the capital... all of which are difficult to get and generally involve bribes. You then take those papers to the passport center get the passport.

So for a returning migrant in Poipet they would have to take a bus/etc back to their home village (even if none of their family lives there anymore) and try to get paperwork which can take days (and if they have no family there, where do they stay while they wait?) and bribes, then take a bus/taxi/tuktuk to the province center from the village and do it again, then take a bus to the capital and do it yet again, THEN go back to the border offices that have been set up and try to get a passport.

This is why none of them being sent back ever did the $24 one, and why the same thing will likely happen with this one.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Yes OD, but didn't it "sound" practical ? Appearances of goodwill, but not really.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Milord wrote:Yes OD, but didn't it "sound" practical ? Appearances of goodwill, but not really.
Exactly.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the military taking control in the inevitable face of major violence instigated/financed by the self interested politicians, the proof of the pudding will be clear when we see how they amend the constitution and what conditions are attached if and when the return to democratic elections happens. In the meantime if while in charge they manage to root out as much of the historical endemic ills negatively affecting the country it's a major step forward. I remain sceptical in the hope I'll be pleasantly surprised/shocked.

Free World Cup coverage for all. :bow:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

doing it right,

bring it on OD, tell me how this is just propaganda for the tyrants in Thailand

Migrant worker registration drive continues
The Nation / Phuket Gazette
PHUKET: Officials from Thailand and Myanmar will meet next week to try to resolve problems in registering migrant workers, Lt-General Thanchaiyan Srisuwan, chief of the Supreme Command's Directorate of Operations, said yesterday. -

Gen Chatchawal said the National Council for Peace and Order wanted migrant workers registered by July 21, so that all were "legal" by the end of this month.

They should also provide workers with legal protection, clear employment contracts and a job description to prevent a misunderstanding and claim of being forced into such work, he said.

The use of labour middleman, or brokers, must be eradicated and the Labour Ministry would oversee the whole matter, Gen Chatchawal added. -
See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/thailand-n ... ad-image-0
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Easily done when you've sent 200,000 out of the country in a single week... getting them back in will take almost a year at the current rates of processing on the Cambodian side, which they have zero control over.

Though I wonder how many conflicting statements we'll get on this one from other "departments" like we got on the expulsion, the disabling of social media, etc...

Meanwhile, I wonder how the businesses that depended on them are doing..?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic