Latest trip to Burma

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Latest trip to Burma

Post by phuketrichard »

March ; Flew into Mandalay-
8 hour mini bus to inle lake ,( should have been 6 but it broke down) lake is very impressive but the town ( Nyaungshwe) sucks UNLESS u like the pseudo backpacker types, (Reminded me alot of kampot )
This is the closest town/city in Burma to Khao San road ( even down to 1,500 kyat happy hours for a gin and tonic) and ONLY 1,000 kyat for a large Mandalay beer
The lake is beautiful but...

From there it was a 9 hour Overnight aircon bus to Magwe, arriving at 4 am. Booked that evenings 9 pm but to Mrauk u, took a nap and at 11 headed out for a meal.
back at hotel at 2 after a walk around, around 6 pm the cramps started and it was in and out of the bath room for the next 2 hours, Electric off and it was 32 degrees in the room..had to tell them i couldn't make the bus and went back to sweat it out the next 24 hours till the 10pm bus the next night to Mrauk U
This is the FIRST time i have gotten sick in my past 5 trips to Burma over the last 2 years
Overnight bus was 10 hours to Mrauk U. ( local aircon bus ...typical Indian style with way to many people and air con didn't' work )

Mrauk U was great, lots of pagodas and stupa's . BUT unlike Bagan, these all were ones you could go inside and they were fantastic images of buddhas and such. Than spent a day on the Laymro river visiting some Chin villages.

Next monring up at 7 to take the 3 hour fast boat down to Sittwe, Lovely Rakanese town on the Andaman sea, fantastic Sea food market and very good food
Next day took the 45 minute ( $115 flight- more expensive than my Yangon- Bangkok- Phuket flight) to Yangon
Lesson learned; NO MORE BUS'S in Burma, they are just not worth it. Will stay with boats, trains and motorcycles

Photos to follow
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Latest trip to Burma

Post by Username Taken »

"1,500 kyat"

What's that in baht/USD?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when i was there 1,365 kyat= $1

PS ; Mandalay Beer is much much better than anything that is produced in Cambodia or Thailand :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Great pics, Richard. Those ladies have some nice tattoos. :Rose:

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 am Photos of the trip;

http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p506490376
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 am Photos of the trip;

Great photos - interesting seeing what's similar, what's different.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote: Photos of the trip;

Excellent. Thanks for posting that PR.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Jamie's photo gallery from his Thailand trip. :head shot:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic