Update on renewing visas at Department of Immigration

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Update on renewing visas at Department of Immigration

Post by StroppyChops »

epidemiks wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
If you've obtained an EB (business) visa and don't yet have a registered business, same-same.
Just​ got my extension back, and it's a EB for the first time. Previous extensions have always been straight E type.

I don't have a business, I'm employed, and my employer takes care of everything regarding visas and work permit.
Okay - so what I said was it's your job to make sure you have the right visa type. Immigration told us that as business owners, we now need an EB. As others have said, Immigration staff themselves haven't been too confident of the new subclasses during the rollout, so a) your employer may have requested the wrong subcategory, b) immigration may have given you the wrong one, or c) there may be nothing to worry about. I'm just repeating what we've been told - up to you what (if anything) you do with it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm 'EI' is not a visa type, nor is it an EOS category.

All visa numbers start with the visa type letter (E, B, T, K, etc....), followed by the letter 'I', followed by numbers.

There is no EI extension of stay category either.
I think it would help in these discussions if people would learn to distinguish between a Visa and Extension of Stay.
There are too many questions about "How much is a 12 month business visa" etc, when they don't exist, and the only visa anyone (I know there are rare exceptions for diplomats etc) gets is 30 days.

Anyway, I got an extension recently and it was EB, but I have a work permit and all the other annoying paperwork.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 7:49 pm I think it would help in these discussions if people would learn to distinguish between a Visa and Extension of Stay.
There are too many questions about "How much is a 12 month business visa" etc, when they don't exist, and the only visa anyone (I know there are rare exceptions for diplomats etc) gets is 30 days.

Anyway, I got an extension recently and it was EB, but I have a work permit and all the other annoying paperwork.
Fair comment.

Out of interest, do you own a business here? The whole EB thing is cloudy.

The reason we didn't go forward with getting EBs from Immigration Dept is that a couple of our minor documents are out of date and I honestly can't be bothered putting the work into renewing them until the re-registration is due. LLucky is not so picky.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 7:36 pm
epidemiks wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
If you've obtained an EB (business) visa and don't yet have a registered business, same-same.
Just​ got my extension back, and it's a EB for the first time. Previous extensions have always been straight E type.

I don't have a business, I'm employed, and my employer takes care of everything regarding visas and work permit.
Okay - so what I said was it's your job to make sure you have the right visa type. Immigration told us that as business owners, we now need an EB. As others have said, Immigration staff themselves haven't been too confident of the new subclasses during the rollout, so a) your employer may have requested the wrong subcategory, b) immigration may have given you the wrong one, or c) there may be nothing to worry about. I'm just repeating what we've been told - up to you what (if anything) you do with it.

Epidemics received the correct Visa EOS, EB, because he is in paid employment in Cambodia.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

So if I'm living on external income, not working and under 60, what category is appropriate?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 pmEpidemics received the correct Visa EOS, EB, because he is in paid employment in Cambodia.
Cool - I'm happy to be wrong! As stated, just going on what the IPs have told me, but they themselves don't seem to know.
timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:33 pmSo if I'm living on external income, not working and under 60, what category is appropriate?
Yes, exactly. There is no answer to this question... or there hasn't been, perhaps there is now.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 pm
No, I've just been working with the same crowd for maybe 5 years and they sort out extensions, work-permits etc. I think the B designation just means you are in employment here, whether it's for your own business or someone else's.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:14 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 pm
No, I've just been working with the same crowd for maybe 5 years and they sort out extensions, work-permits etc. I think the B designation just means you are in employment here, whether it's for your own business or someone else's.
Cool.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

These visa threads (in fact any thread about law and order here) need a running sticky post summary of what has been determined to be the facts, and what has been discounted. It gets bloody confusing!
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

On leaving Cambodia at Poipet I was asked about what I was 'doing' in Cambo, meaning work. I pointed to my ER visa and all was ok. I m under 60 yrs. Extension obtained Lmotors.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic