Gay in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Gay in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tackling provincial prejudice against LGBT one village at a time
Fri, 19 May 2017
In the yard of a house in Stok Prey village, in Takeo province, an audience gathers around a stage as a woman plays the chapey. The performance is a ruse of a sort – an excuse to get villagers to gather to confront a seldom discussed topic in rural areas: homosexuality.

As part of the Village Rainbow LIFE exhibition, the performance is one of several put on by homosexual couples from provinces all over the Kingdom, in an effort to show the diversity of talents and backgrounds of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) community in the provinces.

This is the third year the provincial awareness event is being held. Hosted by lesbian couple Sok Yun, 62, and Sem Eang,63, in their home in Trapeang Sab commune in Bati district, the event on May 13 was part of a larger initiative by local human rights NGO CamASEAN to make LGBTIQ issues more visible in rural areas.
The events feature a photo exhibition, talks by LGBTIQ couples from around the country, and in some cases the testimonies of relatives and even religious figures.

Many of the couples speaking at the event have been together for more than a decade and take care of adopted children. The idea is that showing positive examples of family units such as these serves to quell parents’ fears of their homosexual children being unable to have “proper” families, not having grandchildren, or being unable to provide for them in their old age...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... llage-time
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Call to legalise gay marriage
More than 40 civil society groups and trade unions yesterday called on the government to follow in Taiwan’s footsteps and legalise same-sex marriage.
In a joint statement signed by 43 organisations, the groups congratulated Taiwan for recognising and validating its lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and questioning community in the May 24 ruling legalising same sex marriage – the first of its kind in Asia.

“Taiwan becomes a trailblazer in respect of LGBT rights in Asia, building momentum for marriage equality across the continent. We take this historic opportunity to call upon the Cambodian government to show its commitment to LGBT rights by legislating for same-sex marriage in Cambodia,” the statement read.

The statement added that the LGBT community in Cambodia faces enormous challenges from marriage inequality to daily discrimination in society. The denial of marriage rights, the groups said, was a form of cultural and social isolation which alienated people from their own families and communities.

Same-sex relationships are not illegal in Cambodia, unlike many of its neighbours, however legislation to allow for gay marriage is still absent. According to the Diplomat magazine, the LGBT community received royal support from the late King Norodom Sihanouk as well as the current King Norodom Sihamoni, but this has not shielded them from discrimination by family, friends and society in general...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/38952/ ... -marriage/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:36 pm... the LGBT community received royal support from ... the current King Norodom Sihamoni
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

"I'm all in favour of gay marriage!

Let the queers and lesbians suffer like the rest of us!"

Al Goldstein
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

TBH i found that no one acted differently around me and accepted me for who i am...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I've never experienced any prejudice when out with GF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm I've never experienced any prejudice when out with GF.

ive never felt any prejudice when out with Rozzie and her GF
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Maybe gay men are perceived differently but I've always found people very accepting and even curious.

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:32 am Maybe gay men are perceived differently but I've always found people very accepting and even curious.

ive had a lot of gays take offence when ive told them im not gay, they get really disappointed and pissed off, like its my fault im not gay, pfft what everrrrrrr
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:06 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm I've never experienced any prejudice when out with GF.
ive never felt any prejudice when out with Rozzie and her GF
I've never felt any prejucide when reading about when Punchy is out with Rozzie and her GF...
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:40 amive had a lot of gays take offence when ive told them im not gay, they get really disappointed and pissed off, like its my fault im not gay, pfft what everrrrrrr
Wait, what? You're NOT?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic