Rural speak

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Rural speak

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That's weird. I've been to Osoam a bunch of times. Have you been there a long time? They won't come out in the rainy season..
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Coming up to 11 months now. Apparently if you wanted to give alms here, you take them to the wat yourself.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

I suspect it might be because it's a "new place". No one really lived there 10 years ago and only in the past five years has the settlement started to grow. I don't even remember seeing a pagoda there so I doubt they even had a pagoda until recently. Veal Veng has always been a little bit bigger but I went back recently and both places had grown from 5-6 houses to much bigger.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

When you say Veale Veng, where exactly are you meaning? I'm not trying to be a prick, it's just that apparently, different interpretations of where VV is abound. I understand that Pramaoy, O Soam, Pteah Muay and Veale Veng, all are in Veale Veng district, but Veale Veng is about 10 km from OSaom and not too many live there now.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

I'm talking about the same as you. Not far. It used to only be a truck stop with four to six houses, then grew a bit. It was still one of the only laces with signs of life along the way. Osom was about the same size, but they bridge changed that and now they seem to be clearing more and more forest for crops. It's a proper little village now. I can't really remember details about my first visit but I don't recall seeing any pagoda. When I was last there a few months ago it was surprisingly big.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic