What's wrong with street food?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What's wrong with street food?

Post by WildA »

eriksank wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:28 pm
iluvu wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:38 pmI live in a borey so there's lots of mobile food thingies for the workers and their camp or whatnot...
In terms of hygiene, visibility is important. Everybody can see how the stalls handle your food.

That is way less the case in hotels and restaurants where you may not see what is going on in the kitchen. If you cannot see what they are doing in the kitchen, you should imagine the worst. Murphy's law pretty much guarantees that the worst is exactly what they are doing over there.

In that sense, I reasonably assume that street food is more hygienic than food that comes out of a restaurant kitchen hidden from sight.
When I lived in Chinatown in NYC, I giggled to myself as I entered Chinese resteraunts, all sparkly and clean inside. Thats becasue I used to pass the opened basement doors and see the staff doing food prep ankle deep in water. Got the squirts more than once.

I like seeing my food cooked right there thank you.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I remember the last Chinese restaurant I went to in the U.S., one of the workers was sitting at one of the dining tables with a big pile of rancid looking ground meat in a mound (no cutting board of bowl to hold it) and wrapping eggrolls with her barehands, no hair net, nothing.

I didn't order eggrolls.
-insert signature here
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

eriksank wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:58 pm
hanno wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:44 pmMay western run hotels work with HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) and the hygiene is considerably better than in any street food restaurant.
Someone would still need to inspect these kitchens for their effective use of HACCP. Otherwise, you would "trust" the staff in these kitchens for doing so, and then the system would not be trustless. The practice of doing inspections, just moves the Byzantine Generals' problem to the inspectors. The resulting system would still not be trustless; while a system that is not provably trustless can fundamentally not be trusted. In and of itself HACCP does not address the core issue, while inspection by the customers themselves, some of whom may be trained in HACCP, does effectively address the issue. I only trust properly-constructed peer-to-peer systems. Centralized systems will only end up exacerbating things.
You are welcome to visit any of our kitchens any time :beer3:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

WildA wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 1:07 am Got the squirts more than once.
you mean the Squits? :2girlsit8:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:13 pm
Squits? Like Hershey COLOURED and burning like PETROL, especially when I am in the THEATRE with a lovely BINT after drinking a PINT. Makes me want to WHING. I feel better when I stroke a MOGGY in my FLAT, which has its own LOO.

Got to call my MUM, bye. Even us YANK CUNTS can do Britspeak if we try. CHEERS MATE :hattip: :stir:
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

WildA wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:13 pm
Squits? Like Hershey COLOURED and burning like PETROL, especially when I am in the THEATRE with a lovely BINT after drinking a PINT. Makes me want to WHING. I feel better when I stroke a MOGGY in my FLAT, which has its own LOO.

Got to call my MUM, bye. Even us YANK CUNTS can do Britspeak if we try. CHEERS MATE :hattip: :stir:
haha brilliant, yeah Squits are diarrhoea, must be British English lol
Bravo on your Britspeak :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i like the crispy pork crackling.
ban chao is good too
always wondered about the little red chinese bbq pigs
i used to like the steamed pork dumplings until my gf said it was rat meat
heng heng oyster on 51 is great for steamed seafood bbq oyster etc

when i first came to Cambodia it was common to see calves being roasted whole on spits on the road into town,
fellas at the pagodas claimed it was shameful but i bet they just do it out of sight.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic