Marrying a Cambodian woman. Is it difficult?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Marrying a Cambodian woman. Is it difficult?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

^ (although off topic) technically correct, with regards to the ER visa there is actually a minimum age (50+ or something), proof of retirement, and minimum income requirements... although agents aren't asking for any supporting documentation at this stage. If you don't work, and don't meet the retirement requirements, safer to stay on EB EOS and pay any fines if ever discovered to not have a WP in my opinion. The visa laws are still very vague, which is no surprise.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks for your info, Phuket Richard. But what is the name of the 1 year visa you speak of that says that if I have a son with my ex wife, I can get this visa? I checked the Thai Immigration website and I can find nothing about such a visa. Can you give me more info? Thanks in advance.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

If ur son has ur last name on his birth certifcate , yes u can get it
1 year extension Non O for having a thai dependent, I used that route for 2 years before i was 50 and i was NOT married
for phuket they required 500,000 in the bank

http://www.thailand-immigration.org/dep ... ldren.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks, Phuket Richard. But do you have to prove that you have proof of employment in order to financially support your "Thai dependent" (i.e. my son) other than having 500,000 baht in the bank?
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

Ronny wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:54 pm Thanks, Phuket Richard. But do you have to prove that you have proof of employment in order to financially support your "Thai dependent" (i.e. my son) other than having 500,000 baht in the bank?
What Phuket Richard is referring to is a standard extension of stay on the basis of support of a Thai dependent. If you were legally married to your wife (meaning legally registered at the ampur) when your child was born, then even if you get divorced, you still qualify. You will, of course, need your marriage documents to prove you were married at the time of the birth. You also need 800,000 baht (not 500k) in a Thai bank for 3 months before you apply for the extension. Some offices will allow you to do the first extension of stay with 800k seasoned for only 2 months, but subsequent years require 3 months.

If you were not legally married when your child was born, then you first need to legalize your child. If your child is under the age of 12, this will require the services of a lawyer, and you need to petition the Thai family court to recognize you as the father. You will then be provided with a TR 11. If your child is over the age of 12, the TR 11 can be done at the ampur along with the agreement of your son, your ex wife, and the village headman. Some ampurs will be flexible on the age, so if your child is over the age of 7 it is worth trying at the ampur before going to court.

You do not need any further proof of employment other than the 800k in a Thai bank for 3 months. Your balance can not drop below this amount for the entire period, and immigration will require both bank statements as well as a letter from the bank stating your balance on the day you apply for the extension.

You can usually use this same model to apply for a non-O visa outside of Thailand for supporting a Thai dependent. Each embassy has its own requirements for what they will accept as proof of support, but generally a bank account with $25,000 for several months will qualify.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

monomial wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:02 pm If you were legally married to your wife (meaning legally registered at the ampur) when your child was born, then even if you get divorced, you still qualify.
Sorry. There is one other gotcha I forgot to mention. If your wife was married to anyone else during the 10 months preceding the birth, then even if you were legally married at the time of the birth, you still need to do the legalization procedure and get a TR 11. This actually happened to a friend. His wife was still legally married to her Thai ex, and when she got pregnant they did the official divorce and registered the new marriage. Unfortunately, this made the Thai ex the legal father, even though the child was his and his name was on the birth certificate.

Now, if your wife was not married during the 10 months preceding the birth, then you can simply marry and the child is legally yours even if she was previously divorced.

This a corner case for sure, affecting very few people, but it is something to keep in mind. Thai immigration will check all of this, so best you make sure everything is fully legal before you get rejected and are stuck being forced to leave the country.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

monomial wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:02 pm
Ronny wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:54 pm Thanks, Phuket Richard. But do you have to prove that you have proof of employment in order to financially support your "Thai dependent" (i.e. my son) other than having 500,000 baht in the bank?
What Phuket Richard is referring to is a standard extension of stay on the basis of support of a Thai dependent. If you were legally married to your wife (meaning legally registered at the ampur) when your child was born, then even if you get divorced, you still qualify. You will, of course, need your marriage documents to prove you were married at the time of the birth. You also need 800,000 baht (not 500k) in a Thai bank for 3 months before you apply for the extension. Some offices will allow you to do the first extension of stay with 800k seasoned for only 2 months, but subsequent years require 3 months.

If you were not legally married when your child was born, then you first need to legalize your child. If your child is under the age of 12, this will require the services of a lawyer, and you need to petition the Thai family court to recognize you as the father. You will then be provided with a TR 11. If your child is over the age of 12, the TR 11 can be done at the ampur along with the agreement of your son, your ex wife, and the village headman. Some ampurs will be flexible on the age, so if your child is over the age of 7 it is w orth trying at the ampur before going to court.

You do not need any further proof of employment other than the 800k in a Thai bank for 3 months. Your balance can not drop below this amount for the entire period, and immigration will require both bank statements as well as a letter from the bank stating your balance on the day you apply for the extension.

You can usually use this same model to apply for a non-O visa outside of Thailand for supporting a Thai dependent. Each embassy has its own requirements for what they will accept as proof of support, but generally a bank account with $25,000 for several months will qualify.
monomial

Not all true and i know this first hand
u dont need marriage license ( i was NOT married when my daughter was born), I Only got married when my daughter was 4 years old ( which ended in divorce) at that point i had to go to court to get legal custody. in Phuket it was 500,0000, some provinces its the same as marriage 400,000
U do not need legalize marriage, having ur sons name on the BC is enough ( all i had) My daughter also held us citizenship and passport
NO proof of employment needed.

Maybe things have changed as i did all this back in the late 90's. Go to immigration (as each is a law unto themselves) and ask.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks, Phuket Richard. When I go to Immigration for my "90 Day" proof of residence I'll get information about this. Your information has been very valuable for me. Again, thanks so much.
johnnycanuck2017
Tourist

Post by johnnycanuck2017 »

Counting down the days until I get married in Cambodia.....while at the same time seeing all my money fly out the door even before there :P but I will definately be following Kiwis guide :) my fiance has already called Ung Vantha :) but I guess I cant complain about the process....the real fun will start when I start the Spousal Sponsorship for her to come to Canada.....28 months to process the application....and the whole time she cannot come to visit :-D also a side question in Cambodia during November is it still the height of "rainy season" during this time? :) cheers! :)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

johnnycanuck2017 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 am Counting down the days until I get married in Cambodia.....while at the same time seeing all my money fly out the door even before there :P but I will definately be following Kiwis guide :) my fiance has already called Ung Vantha :) but I guess I cant complain about the process....the real fun will start when I start the Spousal Sponsorship for her to come to Canada.....28 months to process the application....and the whole time she cannot come to visit :-D also a side question in Cambodia during November is it still the height of "rainy season" during this time? :) cheers! :)
November is the End of the Rainy season, but that doesnt mean i would have slowed down any by then, tbh its rained through most of the hot/dry season this year
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic