The real Cambodian Heroes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: The real Cambodian Heroes

Post by Username Taken »

Seems to be working for me. What country are you in?

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 am Seems to be working for me. What country are you in?
Those links are working for me Thanks, but they both seem to be in Khmer!
This one has English subtitles:

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Wutty rally broken up
27 April 2017
ImagePhoto Khmer Times
Scuffles marked a rally in Phnom Penh yesterday to mark the fifth anniversary of the killing of outspoken environmental activist Chut Wutty.
About 100 people gathered outside the Royal Palace, wearing black T-shirts and holding photos of the dead man.

They had been hoping to watch a banned movie “I am Chut Wutty.” but the rally was soon broken up by dozens of Daun Penh security guards.
They confiscated and tore the photos but then struggled to disperse the protesters, who knelt down as if to meditate.

One senior security guard said he had been sent to break up the rally because it affected public security and had not been approved.
“I allowed them only five minutes each to pray,” he said. “Then if they still refused to go I broke them up. That was the order I’d received from above.”

Mr. Wutty’s family repeated its claim of a government cover-up. His son, Chheuy Oddom Rasmey, said in the five years since his death they were no closer to gaining justice and they hoped the protest would remind people about his father’s brave stand against illegal loggers, especially the rich and powerful.
“It is five years and still the family has not received justice,” said Mr. Oddom Rasmey. “I strongly believe the government turned a blind eye to it.
The family believes that In Rattana, the man who fired the fatal shots and himself was shot dead soon after, had not acted alone...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/37828/ ... broken-up/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Six years on, Chut Wutty family still seeking justice
April 27, 2018
The family of late environmental activist Chut Wutty and NGOs yesterday called on the government and authorities to seek justice in the case on the sixth anniversary of his killing which took place in Koh Kong province in 2012.

Mr Wutty’s son, Cheuy Oudom Reaksmey, said yesterday that he and his family, as well as civil society groups monitoring the case, found the report into his father’s murder unacceptable.

“I still demand that the government seek justice and arrest the perpetrator responsible for murdering my father. My family and I still do not recognise the report issued by Koh Kong Provincial Court, which was disseminated by the government. We demand to seek justice again,” he said.

“I am in the United States and will hold a religious ceremony to mark the anniversary for my father at a pagoda in California with Cambodian people living in the community. I have chosen to hold it on April 29.”

Yesterday, about 50 members of the Cambodian Youth Network invited monks to perform a religious ceremony for Mr Wutty at the CYN office in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district.

In the ceremony, participants were quiet for 30 seconds to honour and commemorate Mr Wutty, who sacrificed his life for the protection of forests and natural resources.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50484407/s ... g-justice/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

RIP Chut Wutty. His family is still looking for justice.

Family of Slain Forest Activist Readies to Mark Seventh Anniversary of Killing
Wutty was in Koh Kong province with two journalists from the Cambodia Daily investigating alleged illegal logging by the company as it cleared land ahead of the construction of a hydropower dam.
By VOA Cambodia - April 26, 2019

Phnom Penh – Seven years after Chut Wutty was killed in an altercation with security forces, the family of the forest activist has once again called for justice to be served to the perpetrators.

A court case in 2012 found Wutty was killed by military police officer In Ratana, who was himself fatally shot at the scene in an apparent accident as a security guard for the Timbergreen company, Rann Borath, attempted to take the gun from Ratana.

Wutty was in Koh Kong province with two journalists from the Cambodia Daily investigating alleged illegal logging by the company as it cleared land ahead of the construction of a hydropower dam.

In full: https://www.voacambodia.com/a/family-of ... 91480.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Along with Chut Wutty, my other all-time Cambodian hero is 79 yr old Nget Khun.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's Vigilante Grandads.
Link to some local heros from the Koi indigenous group working to save the forest.
[Short two and a half minute video here. Can't imbed it.]
https://www.scmp.com/video/asia/3013448 ... ts-loggers

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A thought for the anonymous Cambodian wildlife rangers out there.

World Ranger Day: Don’t let these conservation heroes fight alone
World Ranger Day celebrated at Wildlife Alliance on Wednesday, July 31, 2019
Southeast Asia is at the epicenter of the global extinction crisis and threats are on the rise. Without rangers, there would be no hope for turning the tide in the fight to protect some of the world’s most threatened and endangered species.
Wildlife Alliance’s 110 rangers work tirelessly on the front lines, risking their lives every day to:

Locate and remove snares that indiscriminately maim or kill wildlife
Find and apprehend poachers and loggers who are wiping out wildlife and their habitat
Stop illegal land encroachment in the Cardamom Rainforest which has increased by 750% since 2010
https://www.wildlifealliance.org/world-ranger-day/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Joins the World in Celebrating Ranger Day
AKP Phnom Penh, July 30, 2020 --

Cambodia will join other countries to commemorate the 2020 World Ranger Day on July 31, according to the Ministry of Environment.

Cambodia first celebrated the annual event in 2017 with the participation of relevant institutions, national and international organisations, Buddhist monks, students, local communities, the general public and the private sector.

Founded on July 31, 2007, the World Ranger Day is aimed to give value and encourage all rangers for their sacrifice for the cause of environment and natural resources.

Other purposes of the celebration is to raise public awareness on the roles of rangers in Cambodia and inspire the public to take part with rangers in sustainably protecting and managing natural resources and the environment.
- AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian rangers' commitment was honored by WWF on World Rangers' Day, 31 July 2020:
As a recognition of the high-level commitment, this year, WWF selected from among many ranger profiles worldwide and presented Mr. Sin Satha –a ranger from the WWF’s supported Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary – the Dr. Rimington Award for exceptional contributions to the conservation of the forest that is home to many endangered wildlife such Asian Elephants, Indochinese Leopard, Banteng, Guar, Eld’s Deer and Muntjac. This international award also honours his achievements at great risks to help save the ecosystems that local communities depend on for their livelihoods.

On the occasion of this year World Ranger Day, WWF also honour four rangers who sadly made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duties and others who were injured while at work in encounters with the very animals they protect. Of those loss within the past five years: one tragically died in accident associated with the dangerous nature of their work, and three other succumbed to illnesses encountered while at work.

“Today, we also commemorate the rangers who have lost their lives in the line of duty, and our heartfelt condolences and thoughts are with their families,” Mr. Teak said.

By Heng Panha AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic