L 'Bokator - Angkorian martial art. Worth preserving ?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: L 'Bokator - Angkorian martial art. Worth preserving ?

Post by iluvu »

SinnSisamouth wrote:meh

naked female mma
now there is a thing!
Lol you're talking about ultimate surrender
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

my friend uploaded more pics today, great picture
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Well, if you let your opponent climb on your knee and flimsily hold your arm, you deserve a good elbow to the head. I also don't get how an elbow to the top of the head can do any harm. Sounds it would hurt the elbow more than anything. Nice photography though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

I guess you've never seen the documentary Ong Bak.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

". I also don't get how an elbow to the top of the head can do any harm."

Again, I rather suspect that this is part of a kata from ancient times that could have been useful if there was a piece of elbow armor with an attached spike. If not then an elbow blow to the temple would be more effective if not lethal. This seems to me to be a vestigial choreographed piece of nonsense. If I judge a martial art that touts hand to hand unarmed combat I only study it for use...i.e. would this work in a street fight?

It seems to me in this case that of the attacked opponent were to quickly drop to the ground he might easily put an end to this cirque du soleil nonsense.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm Well, if you let your opponent climb on your knee and flimsily hold your arm, you deserve a good elbow to the head. I also don't get how an elbow to the top of the head can do any harm. Sounds it would hurt the elbow more than anything. Nice photography though.
ramon dekkers used to get the elbow out to the top of the head, its not impossible ive seen it loads of times, can see here at 2m45s
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I realize it's a display/kata thing, but I still think those displays (no matter the sport) lame. Give me good ol' fashioned unarmed combat before any martial art "show".
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Bokator venue puts martial art on stage in Temple Town
Fri, 26 May 2017
Master San Kim Sean is very exact with certain dates – like September 29, 1980, when he left Thailand’s Khao-I-Dang refugee camp for America, or April 24, 2004, when the first L’Bokator congress since the rise of the Khmer Rouge was convened in Cambodia.

He is less precise, however, about the schedule at his new Kun Bokator Restaurant Club in Siem Reap, which is the first commercial venue in Cambodia to regularly feature L’Bokator performances and fights.

The newly opened venue will host performances of the ancient martial art, which dates back more than a millennium, as well as a weekly L’Bokator fight on Saturday nights...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... emple-town
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm a bit each-way on the preservation of ancient crafts/skills if the people who the craft/skill is indigenous to aren't that bothered.

This debate rages (well, politicians mumble about it occasionally) about the tribal languages in Australia - some of the native languages are down to the last 20 or so speakers and so (hairy arm-pitted) activists heckle the government to do something about preserving such noble tradition. I myself am a "community member" (aka white fella that can legally claim black rights) and to be honest I care about as much as actual black aborigines - i.e. not much, really, but I'll show an interest if there's a media event organised with beer and a decent buffet. And yet the activists now have their way and these dying languages are being taught to whole schools who live in the area. The community "aunties" wander in occasionally if they feel like it (yet still get a full salary), and sing some songs in the old language, and a whole school learns three or four words of that language. Because that's going to help those non-Aboriginal kids so much in their later lives as they become global travelers and workers.

Perhaps a better solution is to document the crap out of that language and archive it on the Internet so that if anyone actually IS interested, its available for all time. The political correctness of it all gives me the squits.

On the other hand, what's with giant pandas? If those monochrome bastards don't want to breed, is it really so wrong to let them die out?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

One day, the ancient art of crack pipe making will be all-but-dead and hand-wringing community activists will be doing their best to keep it alive, whining for subsidies.

The clever Chinese figured out how to get Giant Pandas to bump uglies* long ago; the Giant Panda is doing just fine.

* See the movie The Patsy Cline Story
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic