Can you start a business in Cambodia with $5k?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Can you start a business with $5k

Post by phuketrichard »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 am $200/ month for a family of 6 is barely subsistance imo.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

agree; seems way low for 6, imagine a few of those are kids in school as well>
GFs family of 4 got by on $300 ( before mom passed) but also had free rice, chickens and Pork ( the $400 came from raising chickens, pigs and growing rice)
WE add another $100 for one daughter for school and such
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

If this girl is in the bush she should be talking to the guy who is doing honey and chicken breeding.
hehe. I am that man.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

willyhilly wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 am I support a family of six on $200 in the bush.
How is that even possible? 50kg bag of rice, bush meat and a garden? Would love to see a breakdown of this!
Maybe the OP's friend should get his gf to do documentaries on foreigners living below the poverty line, reckon that would sell.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

lotus seeds, rice from the family padi, fish from the river or grown on site, veg garden, chickens, ducks, pigs, a few cows.
well watered areas have huge natural production.
every tree is a fruit tree.
fortunate ppl who live in such areas do not need much cash, if they are inclined to work a little at farming.
the hardest places are lands that only have padi
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

" Maybe the OP's friend should get his gf to do documentaries on foreigners living below the poverty line, reckon that would sell."

I cannot speak for willyhilly but if I had wanted a comfortable but stultifying bourgeois existence I would never have come here. As it is I have found much of interest, both good and bad, and none of those moments required much if any cash at all. Yeah I could have had a lot more money but it wouldn't have been worth it.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Raybull wrote:
willyhilly wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 am I support a family of six on $200 in the bush.
How is that even possible? 50kg bag of rice, bush meat and a garden? Would love to see a breakdown of this!
Maybe the OP's friend should get his gf to do documentaries on foreigners living below the poverty line, reckon that would sell.
Bushmeat for sure ( lorus and pangolin are worth real dollars), timber from the forest and one or two working for the man, hoeing weeds for $150/ month....is done a lot but not easy. Try and save 1k for a newish moto and hope your kids dont get sick.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Raybull wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:52 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:14 pm
jmagic wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:54 pm No, spending $700 to support a family is certainly not a red flag. How many of the expats on this forum spend that little in a month?
what do the family do all day? nothing?
Of course not! Gambling, uncles 'n brothers at the Ktv drinking and whoring, crashing their new Dreams and Zoomers-Xs in the local slews, acquiring a taste for imported wine and french oysters, the bloody options are endlesss! Seriously tho, 700$ barely buys you a pot to piss in nowadays! I respect somebody who can raise a family on 700$/mth if need be, and also say the same about the OP's friend if he's got the funds. He's basically a one man family charity, and if he's ok with it then so be it. He did do his DD according to the OP, right? She could of saved 200$ a month and had 5k$ by now to start her own business though. But that's not the game :wink:
What about a small combi van near the riverside selling lady drinks, those pay pretty darn well!
her families poor living out in the boonies, not a middle class family in phnom penh, the first part is probably correct though lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

No KTV here, not even beer garden, good opportunity for some Khmer....

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Sp.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm No KTV here, not even beer garden, good opportunity for some Khmer....

business like this aimed at the khmers would do good id guess,
espesh if there isnt already one,
trying to open a ktv down ktv street and you would probably struggle
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic