Rooftop insulation

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Rooftop insulation

Post by Mr Curious »

BKL, yeah that's the average here in older homes. the fibreglass looses insulative capacity if damp at all so it'll breathe into the airspace above and that is vented. Proper sized fan probably would help a good bit. Painting those orange tiles white is a bit radical but dang sure WILL work. Probably the one most effective, economic way to go.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Unless the boy with the brush falls off and it costs a few hundred bucks to pay the family off. I doubt the paint makes bugger all difference, the problem is the tiles retaining heat. Steel is much more efficient.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

willyhilly wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:58 pm Unless the boy with the brush falls off and it costs a few hundred bucks to pay the family off. I doubt the paint makes bugger all difference, the problem is the tiles retaining heat. Steel is much more efficient.

Well I'm going to have to say ,, I've proved you wrong.,,,, When half of the roof was painted I took a temperature reading and the difference under the painted part was
aprox 10 degree cooler than the unpainted part.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Without a doubt, a lighter coloured roof is more reflective of heat and is demonstrably cooler.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 am
willyhilly wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:58 pm Unless the boy with the brush falls off and it costs a few hundred bucks to pay the family off. I doubt the paint makes bugger all difference, the problem is the tiles retaining heat. Steel is much more efficient.

Well I'm going to have to say ,, I've proved you wrong.,,,, When half of the roof was painted I torok t a temperature reading and the difference under the painted part was
aprox 10 degree cooler than the unpainted part
which begs the question, why is this shitty tin roof material produced in just about every colour but white.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

you can get tin/metal roofing in white just google it and you will see
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

beaker wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 pm you can get tin/metal roofing in white just google it and you will see
you can also get good second hand cars for a couple of hundred pounds in the uk that are about 500 times better than what you pay 3000 plus here.
all the places in snvl a couple of years ago had every other colour except white. maybe that's changed now.
maybe you can also buy gas fridges too at long last, and the gov has started subsidising solar..
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Really, ten degrees. I find that hard to believe but that's an incredible difference. I know that research on metal roofs has found that off whiye is actually better than pure white, how that could be I don't know. I have seen a barang house in snooky with gable ends that were completely open, thats a good idea although you would need louvres to keep the rain out.
You have inspired me to experiment Duncan with a black tile and a white tile and a thermometer.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Really, ten degrees. I find that hard to believe but that's an incredible difference. I know that research on metal roofs has found that off white is actually better than pure white, how that could be I don't know. I have seen a barang house in snooky with gable ends that were completely open, thats a good idea although you would need louvres to keep the rain out.
You have inspired me to experiment Duncan with a black tile and a white tile and a thermometer.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

So for a brand new steel roof, should I leave it as it is, or paint it white?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic