Volunteering in Asia ? Read on...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Volunteering in Asia ? Read on...

Post by OKW »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:08 pm This orphanage looking for volunteers:
Image Posted today on social media.
Orphanage volunteering is still thriving it seems. This one is in Siem Reap.
Good to know that anyone who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty can build a school, no experience necessary. I get that the orphanage doesn't have much money, but not sure that this is the answer.
However, these people are generously donating their time, while getting free training on how to build brick walls, and after all it doesn't take much skill and any fool with half-a -brain can become a brickie overnight,right Jamie ? What do you think of the wall btw ?
Volunteers Helping Build a Classroom

As for the "[you]connect with amazing children" part :facepalm: Repeat after me... :BangHead:
http://www.samartschool.org/2016/08/08/ ... classroom/#!
the one on the far right needs the exercise the most. Even though she takes away a potential job from a local who can't feed his family. Well, she seems well fed, and can afford to work for free. So, who cares, as long as she feels good.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

White girls need the warm feeling they get from building shitty walls and a steady stream of selfies with disenfranchised brown kids for their Facebook updates. Doing more harm than good, hooyah!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Why are they building the walls before the formwork is stripped from the columns? I hope there is some steel inside that formwork to tie it all together. They certainly wont be getting a hammer drill into that gap later.
I have seen very pretty Australian girls in the past who have volunteered. It seems that aspiring models like to have Cambodian volunteering on their CV.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I could never understand the idiots who pay money to volunteer. :roll:

If I'm going to pay, I want: air con, a pool, a comfortable lounger and a nice breakfast. I certainly don't want to 'work'. :)
You could be next.
peppermintpaddy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by peppermintpaddy »

willyhilly wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:25 am Why are they building the walls before the formwork is stripped from the columns? I hope there is some steel inside that formwork to tie it all together. They certainly wont be getting a hammer drill into that gap later.
I have seen very pretty Australian girls in the past who have volunteered. It seems that aspiring models like to have Cambodian volunteering on their CV.
ive seen them do that before...the shutter is stripped from the column and then another shutter is formed from the brickwork to the column and starter bars drilled into the column....as you say,very little room to get the drill in....by the way-thats not brickwork,its kids playing at bricklaying....big difference.
Sander
Tourist

Post by Sander »

What a waste. Just because they're volunteering doesn't mean the things shouldn't be done right. There always has to be someone competent in charge.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

They are stealing jobs from honest Cambodian brickies like Jamie and honest Cambodian block suppliers like Don Oakes/ Oates?
rubyatiy
Tourist

Post by rubyatiy »

Sander wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:03 pm What a waste. Just because they're volunteering doesn't mean the things shouldn't be done right. There always has to be someone competent in charge.
These are more or less with that volunteering things that are not pay or charge by
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic