How's your New Year ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How's your New Year ?

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:04 pm mine has been quiet, with unaccustomed physical work. i have hurt my back.
good excuse for drugs.
One NEVER NEEDS an excuse to take drugs :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks for the photos Duncan. Looks cool, but those countryside mosquitoes really like some fresh barang.
Pig looks cute too. :snorting:
Ganzberger
Tourist

Post by Ganzberger »

the new year is fine and dandy.

here they even have thai sonkran with hot aspara girls included .
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I spent time with my family in Phnom Penh ,went to pagoda and played some games at Aeon. New Year finished yesterday but today is my last holiday. I like playing bowling. Image

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Did Angkor Wat Sunday and Koulen yesterday. Along with what felt like a Million other people. Good spirits but the garbage everywhere was a downer.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The holiday season may be over but my vacation came to an abrupt halt with backbreaking yard work. Our property lines are not defined by walls or fences bit by a row of trees on three sides with the front open except for banana groves.

The primary trees that were planted are called kteum thait, a pernicious and somewhat useless fast growing tree that revels in opening its seedpods and starting another useless generation of offspring. The red tree ants(kh. angkroang, n'kroang in local dialect) ruthlessly gang attack anyone who would destroy their home. Add the tiep trees (custard applies) that have died of old age and one man armed with a chain saw and a kambeut p'keak ( long handled tool with a blade at the end) has his work cut out for him. Time for a beer or three; my 14 year old son can pick up the slack.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Phnom Penh is still quieter than usual today. Some shops are still closed and there's a lot of empty market and roadside stalls.

Lots of traffic on the road to PP yesterday with people crammed into vans and on the back of trucks. Some of those trucks were scary over-loaded with no safety bar at the back in case of an abrupt stop or swerve - sigh, accidents waiting to happen.
[Edit: Just heard that the traffic from northern provinces to PP was still very heavy this morning.]

The garment factories outside PP all looked closed yesterday, but I guess they open today or tomorrow ? Or even later ?

Question for Taabarang: Do you get a noticeable flood of people from town visiting family over the KNY period in your village ? Do they come bearing gifts ?
Just wondering, if there is an influx, how that changes life in the countryside when all the city folk arrive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic