Anybody with experience of walking around Koh Rong ?

Got a question, idea, etc that doesn't fit in anywhere else? No problem. Just a simple place to chat.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: Anybody with experience of walking around Koh Rong ?

Postby Rutiger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:30 am

Cam Nivag wrote:Here's a news story about a lady who tried to walk around on Koh Rong:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ead-77524/
I remember that case from when her disappearance was initially reported, but I never heard all of those details before. How her death was officially reported as some accident is a travesty.
cptrelentless
Expatriate

Postby cptrelentless » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Cam Nivag wrote:Here's a news story about a lady who tried to walk around on Koh Rong:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ead-77524/
Never, ever, ever, walk in that jungle alone. Sex pests and bandits aside, there's holes you'll fall down and not be found. Some guy went into the jungle to top himself, and it was months before they found his contribution to the island's ecology.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate

Postby jaynewcastle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:56 pm

Thank you cptrelentless for the information. Just wondering if your post is based on 1st hand experiences, whilst walking around Koh Rong ?.

Have you done much walking yourself around the island and are you able to confirm whether it is possible to cross the island from east to west at other locations, apart from the path from the main pier over to Sok San beach
cptrelentless
Expatriate

Postby cptrelentless » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:37 pm

jaynewcastle wrote:Thank you cptrelentless for the information. Just wondering if your post is based on 1st hand experiences, whilst walking around Koh Rong ?.

Have you done much walking yourself around the island and are you able to confirm whether it is possible to cross the island from east to west at other locations, apart from the path from the main pier over to Sok San beach
I speak from personal experience, I'm on the island every couple of months or so. Not the best terrain to walk in but there are paths everywhere and the middle bit has the army base/governor's residence. I haven't bothered much as the boat is only a couple of dollars and walking around in the evening isn't much fun, what with the mozzies, in the day it's hot and sweaty under those trees. Much like a jungle, in fact.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate

Postby jaynewcastle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it

Since my initial post, I'm actually starting to like more & more the idea of hiring a longtail for the day, to circle round the island. Its pretty tough trek for me just over to Sok San beach
willyhilly
Expatriate

Postby willyhilly » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 am

I have walked several miles from the ferry pier around the eastern side. It was quite a good walk spolit by the piles of rubbish at the high water mark on the beaches. there is a nice lagoon with a fisherman's shack on it part way around. Ask Kith Meng for a map, he owns the island doesn't he, if he's not home ask HS. He has a copy.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate

Postby jaynewcastle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 pm

The beach with the lagoon is Longset Beach, also known as 4km beach I believe . I've stopped for a lunch a few times at Pure Vita, right where the pier is on that beach. There is a ferry that runs to that pier, hadn't heard of it before (can't remember the name now)

In Jan 2017, that beach was the busiest I've seen it & there was a lot of building work going on along that beach, & at the far end, where they have cut down a lot of the trees. At the end of that beach, I walked up through the jungle & over the headland (15mins or so) to the next beach, Nature Beach I think its called, where there are a couple of resorts & a series of tents up on platforms, several feet above the ground.

I turned around when I got to the end of that beach & went back to the main town