British man, Andrew James Neil Heap, found dead, PP.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jason Heap
Tourist

Re: British man, Andrew James Neil Heap, found dead, PP.

Post by Jason Heap »

Trinitysmackstain wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 am Another day in PP another dead barang druggy
Andrew was my brother. He was a son. He has left hundreds of people who loved him dearly for his insight, humour, love, intelligence and so much more. You have defined him by a blurb you read in an article. How small minded. Not even a hint of effort to think about who he really was. I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I suppose you get off on making fun of people. I would rather be a druggy than someone who likes to put people down any day. Especially someone who makes fun of dead people. How pathetic you are. Andrew was a genuine lovely person as I stated before. He worked all week and partied at the weekend. Your small mind can only say "drugs=bad" because thats what the media feeds to simpletons who can't form their own opinion like you. I can only reiterate, Andrew was a much nicer person than you.
Jason Heap
Tourist

Post by Jason Heap »

rick_o'shea wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 am Andy was a kind hearted guy. A good person. Troubled, but a good person. He was in Sundance quite often and talked a lot about competitive arm wrestling. Larger than life. We were from the same part of NW London. Last time i saw him, he was partying pretty hard and didn't intend on slowing down. Haven't seen him for over a month. Its a tragic end. RIP
Thanks a lot for this Rick. We are learning more and more how many friends he had in PP.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jason Heap wrote:
Trinitysmackstain wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 am Another day in PP another dead barang druggy
Andrew was my brother. He was a son. He has left hundreds of people who loved him dearly for his insight, humour, love, intelligence and so much more. You have defined him by a blurb you read in an article. How small minded. Not even a hint of effort to think about who he really was. I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I suppose you get off on making fun of people. I would rather be a druggy than someone who likes to put people down any day. Especially someone who makes fun of dead people. How pathetic you are. Andrew was a genuine lovely person as I stated before. He worked all week and partied at the weekend. Your small mind can only say "drugs=bad" because thats what the media feeds to simpletons who can't form their own opinion like you. I can only reiterate, Andrew was a much nicer person than you.
Hi Andrew's brother,
Please don't pay attention to the troll. He is a pathetic guy who really isn't worth the time.
You know what a great guy your brother was, so just ignore people who make stupid comments on internet forums.
However, there is a big problem with foreigners (particularly in Phnom Penh) who are apparently dying from drugs in the last year or two which needs to be addressed.
None of that will make you feel better. Sorry for your loss, and condolences to Andrew's family and friends.
AM
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think it's time to ban Trinityshitstain/ BKK Trapper again. Clueless little prick.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jason Heap
Tourist

Post by Jason Heap »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:34 pm
Jason Heap wrote:

Hi Andrew's brother,
Please don't pay attention to the troll. He is a pathetic guy who really isn't worth the time.
You know what a great guy your brother was, so just ignore people who make stupid comments on internet forums.
However, there is a big problem with foreigners (particularly in Phnom Penh) who are apparently dying from drugs in the last year or two which needs to be addressed.
None of that will make you feel better. Sorry for your loss, and condolences to Andrew's family and friends.
AM
Hey AM

Thanks a lot for your reply and support and thanks to everyone else who defended my brother. Sounds like this troll is just that, a troll.

I'm the first to know that my bro had trouble with drugs. I know it must be a problem out there. But, as i wanted to get across, there was a lot more to Andrew than just taking drugs.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Jason
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

Sorry for being a cunt.

Not saying your brother is a druggy.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

not banned due to apology

RIP Andrew
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hanno wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm Serious question as I do not do drugs: is meth so widespread now, even among middle-class Westerners?

Yes it is a major problem, there is quite a bit of literature on the subject, here's a sample:

Prevalence of nonmedical methamphetamine use in the United States
The overall prevalence of current nonmedical methamphetamine use was estimated to be 0.27%. Lifetime use was estimated to be 8.6%. Current use rates for men (0.32%) and women (0.23%) did not differ, although men had a higher 3-year prevalence rate (3.1%) than women (1.1%). Within the age subgroup with the highest overall methamphetamine use (18 to 25 year olds), non-students had substantially higher methamphetamine use (0.85% current; 2.4% past year) than students (0.23% current; 0.79% past year).https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515829/

Methamphetamine Use: Lessons Learned
Methamphetamine use has been at epidemic stages in some areas of the country for over a decade, while in others its popularity is confined to smaller subgroups. In California, the proportion of all the treatment admissions for methamphetamine has gone from 8% to 31% from 1992 to 2003; in Arkansas, it skyrocketed from 2% to 22%; and in Iowa the rate went from 2% to 22% (U.S. DHHS, OAS, TEDS,2005) over the same time period. https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/209730.pdf

Methamphetamine use in Australia
The proportion of weekly methamphetamine users significantly increased from 2010 to 2013 (Fig 3). The overall proportion of methamphetamine users has not changed over this period, and most still use less than monthly. However, the proportion of users who use more frequently (i.e., weekly) has increased.

Speed (powder, tablets, capsules) was used by most methamphetamine users in 2007 and 2010 (Fig 5). In 2013, ice was the preferred form of methamphetamine. Ice use has more than doubled since 2010. The recent shift to ice is concerning, as it is a particularly potent form of methamphetamine, and may cause more harm.http://nceta.flinders.edu.au/files/4614 ... /EN592.pdf

Cambodia

Cambodia’s young adults are using methamphetamines at one of the highest rates in the world, according to a recent report by the UN’s drug watchdog, while demand for more upscale drugs like ecstasy is growing among the affluent. In an annual report released Tuesday by the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB), the abuse of amphetamine-type stimulants is said to be the “biggest concern” in countries located in the Greater Mekong Subregion.The endemic problem is most prevalent among those aged 15 to 29, who typically consume pills like yama, a tablet containing a mixture of methamphetamine and caffeine.

Government responses to the UN Office on Drugs and Crime’s 2014 annual questionnaire, along with official reports, estimate that more than 75,000 people use illegal drugs in the country.More than half of those are young people, whose drug of choice is methamphetamines.

“The problem is growing, and a big portion of that is yama,” National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD) secretary-general Meas Vyrith said. “The number of people using methamphetamine in Cambodia is increasing right now among young people”
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/y ... h-use-rise

The use of ice rocketed between 2006 and 2008, and it continues to be a major problem in Cambodia today. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) drug treatment officer Clay Nayton, who works with users in rural areas, estimates that today more than 90 percent of Cambodian drug users are battling a meth addiction. (AsiaLIFE — February 2, 2014)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Thanks Kuroneko.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Young people do not "die all the time of heart attacks". Sorry for this fellow but those who live in Cambodia do tire of the death rate amongst expats who use drugs. It does reflcet on all of us. Here in Far North Queensland ice use is endemic yet no one seems to die, they just fry their brains.
Locked Previous topicNext topic