The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The best thing in Vietnam !!!

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

What will this mean for Hanoi's street food ?

Hanoi to extinguish sidewalk cooking fires to improve city’s image
March 18, 2017

People cooking over tiny stoves on the sidewalk might soon be a thing of the past.

Hanoi’s new etiquette rules include a ban on cooking on the sidewalk to improve the city’s image.

Open-air cooking is so common in Hanoi that it seems as if half of the city’s population is sitting around sidewalk fires all day.

Hanoi is renowned for its street food, with stalls selling everything from complicated soups and meat skewers, to noodles and baguettes.

It is not uncommon to see local people sitting down on plastic stools at a table covered with tarp to enjoy a meal.

Since the cost of a gas or charcoal stove is relatively low, restaurant owners and residents prefer them to indoor electric ovens.

Hanoi has been working on etiquette rules since 2012, most of which are intended to prevent acts such as littering, spitting, urinating in public, using bad language and dressing in a provocative or indecent way.

-VNExpress
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

What will become of VN if they stop street vendors selling phở? Really?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

That would be devastating but the campaign to clean up sidewalks is in full swing. I was in Ha Noi last week and they are removing everything, including the little concrete ramps people use to get the motorbikes into the houses.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm That would be devastating but the campaign to clean up sidewalks is in full swing. I was in Ha Noi last week and they are removing everything, including the little concrete ramps people use to get the motorbikes into the houses.
I presume that when the Vietnamese clean up, they really clean up - not like the usual Cambodian announcements which last for a few days before fizzling out and then back to same old, same old... ?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm
hanno wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm That would be devastating but the campaign to clean up sidewalks is in full swing. I was in Ha Noi last week and they are removing everything, including the little concrete ramps people use to get the motorbikes into the houses.
I presume that when the Vietnamese clean up, they really clean up - not like the usual Cambodian announcements which last for a few days before fizzling out and then back to same old, same old... ?
True that. Might not always work the first time around (motorbike helmets), but eventually they get their act together.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

Thats south east asia nowadays they are "cleaning up" all the interesting cool shit.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Trinitysmackstain wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 am
Thats south east asia nowadays they are "cleaning up" all the interesting cool shit.
Yeah it's getting far too clean. :facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm What will this mean for Hanoi's street food ?

Hanoi to extinguish sidewalk cooking fires to improve city’s image
March 18, 2017

People cooking over tiny stoves on the sidewalk might soon be a thing of the past.

Hanoi’s new etiquette rules include a ban on cooking on the sidewalk to improve the city’s image...

:plus1: Excellent - Hanoi street food festival to be held from 7-9 April.

Over 1,000 world, Vietnamese dishes to be on display at street food festival

Published: 22/03/2017 13:08

HANOI, March 22 (Xinhua) -- Visitors at Vietnam's first-ever international street food festival will have chance to taste over 1,000 Vietnamese and world dishes, the National Administration of Vietnam Tourism (VNAT) said on Wednesday.

VNAT, the sponsor of the event, was quoted by local Tien Phong (Pioneer) newspaper as saying that the Food Fest 2017 will take place in the capital of Hanoi on April 7-9.

During the three-day festival, over 100 activities will be held, including exploring good dishes of Vietnam, Asia and Europe, joining Vietnam Food Art photo contest, and tasting over 200 wines from eight countries among others.
Freshnews
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I was warned that Vietnamese were cold and hard nosed and that is true to some extent. But drining bier hoi in the mornings with the old boys is great and the women are beautiful. The food is good, the streets much cleaner, the roads more orderly and i like people with a work ethic. I rode the Cambodian scooter around the Delta twice with no proper visa having come through Ha Tien in the old days.Never saw a cop or had a problem with the authorities.
I am considering going back and riding around the old battle fields and US Fire bases and writing a book about it.
I nearly went to My Lai on one trip in 2007, went to Khe Sanh instead. Pity, on that day Oliver Stone visited. It was before he made the movie.
Whatever happened to that movie?
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

I just thought I would share a recent experience I had when travelling by bus from HCMC to PP... It was the worst bus trip I have ever had......
It was the worst 8 1/2 hours of my recent life.

Left home on time to catch the bus from PNL... arrived with time to spare.
The bus leaves on time and then proceeds to stop at 2 hotels along the way. No big dramas at the first one. The second hotel we sit waiting blocking traffic for about 10 - 15 minutes while the middle aged European tourists (about 10 all told) get themselves sorted and a few having their last gasp at a fag before they boarded... I did notice though it was 9am they had in hand a few beers. There was 1 loud mouth woman about 40 with bleached blonde hair, her dumb arsed wimp of a partner who seemed to be the ringleaders..... FIRST DELAY

Off we go, just in time to get the best of HCMC's traffic jam thanks to having to wait for the Eurotrash.

The bus attendant guy collects all the passports, 1 passenger has no money and wants to pay for his Cambodian visa and the $5 service fee by CREDIT CARD. The bus guy says OK, we will stop at an ATM and you can get cash.
On we go heading to Crapbodia.

Then the Eurotrash start drinking, .... before we get to Cu Chi the blonde bitch needs to have a piss. Giant Ibis buses do not have toilets.... She starts making a fucking scene so the bus stops at a servo and we all wait while she goes and has a piss. In the meantime all her mates get off and start having a cigarette or 3.

SECOND DELAY.

We get to the border at 11.15am just in time to catch up with the eight other buses that left after us. We are now 1 hour behind schedule.
There are 4 booths at the Viet Immigration border to process the exit of people. As we arrive 2 booths close as the wankers decide to go and have lunch. I reckon there was 400 people waiting (8 buses x 50 passengers plus the walk ins)
We finally get through, get on the bus and sit, sit, sit... we find out that the guy with no money had tampered with his Vietnamese visa and changed it from a 30 day visa (legal) to a 40 day visa (no such a thing) Immigration held him back and wanted a payment for overstaying his visa... he had no money!... One of the passengers stumped up some cash and off we go and have lunch.

DELAY NUMBER THREE!

We have lunch, get back on the bus and the Eurotrash have stocked up on beer and other refreshments..... Off we go again, now nearly 2 hours behind schedule.

The bus stops again at some fucked up town that has a ATM machine. The financially challenged passenger gets off with the bus attendant. The whole bus watches as he he tries his credit cards in the various ATM machines... no luck (No fucking money more like it)
While this is going on the Eurotrash troupe are off finding piss houses and sucking on fags.

DELAY No. 4

Off we go again.

We get about 30 kilometers from PP city and the roadworks that have been in progress for the past 3 years slow us down to a crawl.
In the meantime all the Eurotrash's bladders have been filling up to bursting point. We are bumper to bumper on a pot holed dusty road... Then its starts, the blonde Eurobitch needs a piss, must have a piss and is making a big show of it. The bus weaves to the side of the road in a heavily populated area causing immense havoc to other frustrated drivers (and bus passengers)... The bitch gets out, can't find a toilet, squats next to the bus and has a classy piss. At the same time on queue her mates all get out and start pissing while lighting up some cigarettes.
At this stage a few of the other passengers are pissed off and wanted to kick the Eurotrash team off the bus.. me included. The staff said the finish line is in sight and they would not stop again......

DELAY No.5

We crawled into Phnom Penh in time to enjoy the delights of PP's finest pilots of Lexus, Land Drovers and other machines that they don't know how to drive but no problem........ all paid for with AID money donated by other countries.

Arrived 2 1/2 hours late, missed getting my passport submitted for my visa.... thanks Eurotrash!

Guess what? Last bus trip for me... I flew back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic