Carnage on Monivong: accident causes 3 dead and 6 injured

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Carnage on Monivong: accident causes 3 dead and 6 injured

Post by hanno »

What could solve this issue is the police being trained in ''scene management''
I think you have been here long enough to know better?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 am
kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am
prahkeitouj wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 am If they try to escape by running is fine, but if they try to drive the cars to escape, most of them end up with sad story.
You should not try and escape AT ALL!!
Exactly! But like said the problem here is the fear of public beating even if you are the cause of accident or not. And which some expats seems to be in favour too :shock:

Edit. and the public beating is much more common when car is involved. When bikes have collision it's rare to happen.
I know the fear of a beating is the reason for running however it does not excuse it.

What could solve this issue is the police being trained in ''scene management'', it always amazes me when things like this happen, the amount of police that just stand looking, not moving on gawkers, not making sure evidence is collected or not damaged with people walking everywhere and best, actually watching a mob beat down a purp before stepping in before they kill them (sometimes after they have been killed).

Its a sad state of affairs when running from a scene is more appropriate than staying put because not even the police will help should it all go tits up.
ive seen a video where even the copper was throwing a cheeky boot in to a moto thief
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

rogerrabbit wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am
prahkeitouj wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 am If they try to escape by running is fine, but if they try to drive the cars to escape, most of them end up with sad story.
You should not try and escape AT ALL!!
Exactly! But like said the problem here is the fear of public beating even if you are the cause of accident or not. And which some expats seems to be in favour too :shock:

Edit. and the public beating is much more common when car is involved. When bikes have collision it's rare to happen.
If the accident isn't serious damage, people rarely beat the drivers. Many drivers try to flee the scene. I heard many people say drive a car is safer than riding bike. Of course we rarely see motor bikes cause serious traffic accident. But most of them are victim. I don't mean all car drivers don't pay attention with their driving but most are. Show off and think they are priority if they have a Modern car. More expensive is safer! But never think they still die if they don't understand each other.
Last edited by prahkeitouj on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:47 am
What could solve this issue is the police being trained in ''scene management''
I think you have been here long enough to know better?
I have been here long enough to know this will never happen however the sheer ineptitude of some of them still astounds me.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

:thumb:
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am what is in the khmers ( and thai's as well) make up that makes them always want to attack people? Sure he fucked up, but....

Is it cause they know that justice will NOT be given?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

OKW wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:10 pm :thumb:
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am what is in the khmers ( and thai's as well) make up that makes them always want to attack people? Sure he fucked up, but....

Great question, i missed this the first time.

I honestly don't know, it would be a very interesting study / survey to do but i think your thinking is correct.. ''Is it cause they know that justice will NOT be given?''
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:14 pm
OKW wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:10 pm :thumb:

Great question, i missed this the first time.

I honestly don't know, it would be a very interesting study / survey to do but i think your thinking is correct.. ''Is it cause they know that justice will NOT be given?''
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

yes, and democracy, basic healthcare and a pension, no more commies and terrorists, heroes anywhere you look along with a place for the FREE..... :D
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:33 pm Image
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

After such a horrific event, there is shock,fear, anger and adrenaline. When you have seen this:
[WARNING: this is a shocking photo showing the bodies on the road after the accident.Don't look if the idea makes you sick.]
Spoiler:
It might make you want to do this:

Not defending anyone, I definitely don't believe in mob justice, but it's not so surprising that when some idiot has almost killed you and you've seen some innocent kids splattered on the road, you go into primal mode and want to hurt the guy who's responsible.
There is also the mob mentality where one person starts and everyone piles on. And of course, it doesn't help that the police are extremely passive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic