Motorcycle Servicing

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: Motorcycle Servicing

Post by Raybull »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 pm
Raybull wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Raybull wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 pm You don't need much more than 500cc here IMO.
this lol
Btw, whats the word in front of the percentages on that chart?
ពិន័យ​ pinay. Fine, penalty, but in this context I guess it means duty/tax.
Thx!
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Airborne wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:21 pm Thanks again for the speedy reply Raybull, and hi to everyone else who's pitched in. I had head and heart set on something ~1000cc, because my first bike was a Litre V-twin sports bike, which I was uber-careful on. I couldn't fathom being on a 125/250/300/500 cc simply because I'm 6'2", 200lbs/90kgs and rugby build. Even most 600 SuperSports are powerful enough, true, but I look like a pretzel on it. Not for me. Hence Adventure bike or Sport Tourer. The job I'm hoping comes my way soon would have me on shift patterns of 4 days on, 2 days off, and I was hoping to do a few tours around Cambodia; nothing too insane, just travelling. Maybe find like minded people and make it a semi regular thing. But I digress. I've ridden in the South of Spain where Road regulations are optional. I've driven for 16+ years around the Middle East, where Road regulations are "coming soon"... But I take your point and I've seen the chicken-run style driving around the city of Phnom Penh, and the donkey slalom when outside the cities. I'm ok with that.
Seen quite a few 'lightly' used BMW 800/1200GS on expat pages and khmer24. You really can get whatever you want, the shops will import it for you as long as you've got the dosh, but the more exotic it is the more hassle it will be to maintain and fix. I wouldn't fancy having to take a new BMW to Thailand for work everytime. Personally, if I was into touring a lot, I'd be doing it in Thailand and Malaysia anyways. Way better roads and scenery. I've ridden about 40000kms in central and northern Thailand on a cbr150 and a kawa 250, but haven't done much in Cambodia TBH. Treacherous!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Ok well you seem to be quite misinformed so as a long-time biker in Cambodia, I'll clear a few thing sup for you:

1-DO NOT import your own bike. At least not until you get here. Just don't do it. Yes, prices here are way. It is what it is. Trying to import your own bike won't make it any cheaper, trust me.

2-I get the feeling you've never been here. A 1000cc tourer is doable for trips, but remember that driving here is NOTHING like driving in the M-E (I've worked there as well). Your max speed on local highways will be ~50-80kmh most of the time, with way more dangers than places such as Saudi. They drive fast on the highways in the M-E, but they're way more predictable than in SEA and the roads are big and wide. Here the highways are basically a double-laned road (one lane each way) with a very constant stream of cows, idiots on motorbikes cars going the opposite way that will push you off the road so on. That's why smaller capacity bikes are preferred. Remember that a DR650 looks almost just as big as a bigger tourer, but will be more agile and responsive in the tight stuff.

3-Wait until you get here. No, there aren't any dealers or nice showrooms like in other countries.

4-Look around once you get here, then make a decision. I know a guy with a mint KTM adventure tourer for sale. Could put you in contact with him. There are also quite a few other bikes around. There used to be a Swiss guy who had a lot of bigger touring bikes at VERY reasonable prices, but sadly he's gone out of business. Lot's of Harleys around. Also a few Africa Twins, DR800s etc. Once you get here, send me a message and I'll give you the address to a few shops that carry big bikes such as BWW 650-1200, bigger Ducatis and so on. No point trying to contact them via email or trying to check out a website, Cambodia isn't like that yet. Patience... Wait till you get here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 pm
Raybull wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Raybull wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 pm You don't need much more than 500cc here IMO.
this lol
Btw, whats the word in front of the percentages on that chart?
ពិន័យ​ pinay. Fine, penalty, but in this context I guess it means duty/tax.
the header of that columns reads:
ប្រាក់ពន្ធ, អាករ និងពិន័យដែលត្រូវបង់
Money Tax Contributions, Tax and Fines Which Must Have to Pay

they use 2 different words for Taxes - ពន្ធ + អាករ

and the word they use for the percentages is - ពិន័យ - so im guessing it must mean the fines

but im not exactly sure what the whole document is about cba translating it all as its hard to read and im slower reading that font lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Airborne
Tourist

Post by Airborne »

Hello and thanks for the wealth of info Bitte_Kein_Lexus.

Do rest assured though, I'm aware of what to expect in Cambodia. Though you're right, I've not been there myself. I've tried to liken it to a mix of Manila (madness everywhere) and Karachi (wildlife all over the roads and six cars abreast on a two lane Road, etc). Really appreciate your help and insight. Truly. Perhaps a midsized dual purpose then. I'm really grateful for your offer of help too. I'll certainly follow up with you on that. And as for importing, I'm agreed on that. I'm in Dubai right now, and 2nd bikes are mint here and good value, and shipping is peanuts. But as you say, and as I found out too, the import process in Cambodia is prohibitive. That's off the cards now. And again, absolutely, I agree, I won't make any decisions until I'm there. Am totally onboard with what everyone is saying. Quick question, as of course I've not been there, what happens during the Monsoon, bike wise? How do Harley guys cope? Hence I'm thinking, if it's your primary mode of transport, something taller and more elements-resistant is the way forward? What are the thoughts on that?
Airborne
Tourist

Post by Airborne »

Hello and thanks for the wealth of info Bitte_Kein_Lexus.

Do rest assured though, I'm aware of what to expect in Cambodia. Though you're right, I've not been there myself. I've tried to liken it to a mix of Manila (madness everywhere) and Karachi (wildlife all over the roads and six cars abreast on a two lane Road, etc). Really appreciate your help and insight. Truly. Perhaps a midsized dual purpose then. I'm really grateful for your offer of help too. I'll certainly follow up with you on that. And as for importing, I'm agreed on that. I'm in Dubai right now, and 2nd hand bikes are mint here and good value, and shipping is peanuts. But as you say, and as I found out too, the import process in Cambodia is prohibitive. That's off the cards now. And again, absolutely, I agree, I won't make any decisions until I'm there. Am totally onboard with what everyone is saying. Quick question, as of course I've not been there, what happens during the Monsoon, bike wise? How do Harley guys cope? Hence I'm thinking, if it's your primary mode of transport, something taller and more elements-resistant is the way forward? What are the thoughts on that?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Airborne wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:29 am Hello and thanks for the wealth of info Bitte_Kein_Lexus.

Do rest assured though, I'm aware of what to expect in Cambodia. Though you're right, I've not been there myself. I've tried to liken it to a mix of Manila (madness everywhere) and Karachi (wildlife all over the roads and six cars abreast on a two lane Road, etc). Really appreciate your help and insight. Truly. Perhaps a midsized dual purpose then. I'm really grateful for your offer of help too. I'll certainly follow up with you on that. And as for importing, I'm agreed on that. I'm in Dubai right now, and 2nd bikes are mint here and good value, and shipping is peanuts. But as you say, and as I found out too, the import process in Cambodia is prohibitive. That's off the cards now. And again, absolutely, I agree, I won't make any decisions until I'm there. Am totally onboard with what everyone is saying. Quick question, as of course I've not been there, what happens during the Monsoon, bike wise? How do Harley guys cope? Hence I'm thinking, if it's your primary mode of transport, something taller and more elements-resistant is the way forward? What are the thoughts on that?
The rainy season isn't a big problem. It only floods severely in Phnom Penh, and a few provincial towns. However, water usually drains within an hour or so. The rain isn't constant except on the coast, so you can easily "time" your trips. It'll rain heavily in the afternoons, but mornings are usually fine. Most highways are high enough that they don't get flooded except in extreme circumstances (a few years ago near Siem Riep, for example). So cruisers and Harleys do fine, as does anything else. Just wait for the water to subside is the trick.

I'm a dirtbike guy, so I don't like cruisers at all. They feel heavy and too low to me. I've ridden some before in other countries and can enjoy them, but I'm tall and like tall bikes by nature. So I'm personally attracted to dirtbikes and adventure bikes. I recently sold my dual sport and replaced it with another scooter. For me it was a wise choice as showing up to work in your Harley and riding through bumper to bumper traffic in a Harley doesn't sound like fun to me.

Anyways, plenty of people in Cambodia own cruisers (both small 250cc ones and 1200cc) so they do fine. If you want an adventure bike, then a BMW 650 or something like that would be perfect. I can't see how you would ever manage to use 1000cc here. Simply impossible. A cruiser can be higher capacity, but adventure bikes get huge when over 600cc so a bit worthless here imo. DRZ400, DR650 or something like that would probably suit you.

BTW, what are some good sources for bikes in Dubai? I looked into importing my own bike from my home country, but it was pretty pricey. I then went to Bahrain a while ago and it had me thinking about importing a bike from there (or the ME). Unfortunately they didn't have what I wanted (YZ250FX, or WR450F). Still, pries didn't seem that low imo, given that there are no taxes and all that.
Airborne
Tourist

Post by Airborne »

Hi Bitte_Kein_Lexus,

Thanks for that long and informative reply. Put my mind at ease a little. I agree with everything you said. I'm not into cruisers at all either. Just surprised there were comparatively so many there. And I only diced with the idea of a 1000cc because they're selling for the same or less than some 600/650s over there. I'm tall too, as I think I mentioned. I've never ridden a dirt bike or enduro before. As for Dubai, use www.dubizzle.com. Tonnes there. And I got a quote for a 250kg bike to be shipped to Phnom Penh, and it was AED 3600 (USD 1000), but that's without all the taxes and duties and shennanigans at the Cambodian end. If you decide to, let me know, as I have a good contact in Dubai for shipping... As for me, guess I'll be looking out for a GS800 or Versys over there then... Does the job I guess. Are there any clues to join for rideouts over there?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

For some reason I don't see this thread in the unread messages section of Tapatalk, so I just notice replies when I manualy check several days later. Had a look at dubizzle (had been on that site once a long time ago) and they do have a lot of adventure bikes are very reasonable prices. That shipping quote is also quite good. Making me think about my options. If you want, I can send you quotes for importing 250cc and 450cc bikes. The 450 is basically $2000, and keep in mind that this goes up in increments so 600-1000 are $$$. The newer the pricier.

There are a few groups around. I know some local guys organize sport bike outings. Expats also organize some rides, so shouldn't be difficult to find people to ride with. Facebook groups seem to be the thing.
Airborne
Tourist

Post by Airborne »

Awesome, thanks for the replies. If you fancy going ahead with a Dubizzle sourced bike, let me know. There's plenty of KTM dirt bikes too. Emiratis buy them fresh, can't handle them, lose interest, and put them up for sale shortly after. So, feel free to use me to check stuff out here for you. And if you make a decision on one, I'll fire the derails over to my shipping buddy and probably get you a quote in 24 hours. I'd love to join a group over there. Incidentally, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do yourself over there in the Land of Wonder?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic