How long is long stay ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Raybull wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am

Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
Yeh i recomend the OP just gove the owner 10 a day then have AC 24 hours a day that way that cant say shit about the bill coz your gone to the next place.
You know 75 USD is a average bill for my neighbour last month.
at my new place my bills come to around 20-30$ depending on how much i use the aircon,
i do remember one of my neighbors in my last apartments last year accidently racked up a $200 electric bill :facepalm:
While you were paying 3-4$. I hope He/She took your room with the faulty meter when you moved out.
Alot of the newer guesthouses have ind. meters now and will insist on it for long stay deals.
haha yeah my old place had a right dodgy meter, i kept my aircon nearly all month in may and my bill still only came to 11$ lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

cptrelentless wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm You can teach privately, rather than in a school. You might want to find a different niche, though. Can you play poker?
a7 and kj my 2 favorite hands . Thats why im looking for a job !
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am
whereami wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
Good to know on the meters in some places for electric . Ill keep it in mind and probably avoid those that have them
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 am 1 month min.

good luck finding a job with zero quailifications
Thanks a month sounds about right .... And yes im hoping noone hires me so i can drink everyday with a clear conscious knowing i tried . Looks like a terrible job anyways . I do wonder why english teachers get such a bad rap but i guess ill find out soon
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

whereami wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks a month sounds about right .... And yes im hoping noone hires me so i can drink everyday with a clear conscious knowing i tried . Looks like a terrible job anyways . I do wonder why english teachers get such a bad rap but i guess ill find out soon
Drinking everyday ..........

Going to teach english in PP.

That says it all.
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

Trinitysmackstain wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:30 am
whereami wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:47 am

Drinking everyday ..........

Going to teach english in PP.

That says it all.
hahaha ya good point
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It seems no-one has come up with a good definition of how long is a '' long time stay '' so perhaps it maybe better to discuss how long is a '' short-time.''
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 pm It seems no-one has come up with a good definition of how long is a '' long time stay '' so perhaps it maybe better to discuss how long is a '' short-time.''
3 hours
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 pm It seems no-one has come up with a good definition of how long is a '' long time stay '' so perhaps it maybe better to discuss how long is a '' short-time.''
ask a bar girl
usually enough time for a shower and quick fuck :beer3:

wham bam thank u mam
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

Im not sure how to say this without downright punching you in the face metaphorically speaking, but what right do you have to teach Cambodian students just because you want a new life adventure or existence. Sure you can get a job with no credentials but how does that not completely dissrespect your students and Cambodia as a country. The kids of this country deserve an education just like you probably got. Let me ask you a question. Would you be ok with someone from another country teaching you who doesnt know your language just because they want to enjoy the fruits of your nation. HELL NO! I am here in Cambodia specifically so Cambodians can get a good education. I hate that blond haired blue eyed tall Westerners get a job teaching English because of that fact. Its down right despicable. Cambodians are amazing people that deserve better than that. I would like you to ask yourself are you ready to put the time into bettering yourself so you can improve a young Cambodians existence and future. Instead of thinking how am I going to be able to live cheap and drink cheap beer and live however the eff I want to maybe you shoudl ask how you can help a nation that genuinely needs help. This country is amazing and able to care for its own without some Westerner wanting a change of scenery. I dont want to be rude to you, but consider what you are trying to do. You have no credentials. Would you want someone teaching you with no credentials. Life should be more than how can I help myself like many on this forum are about. If you want to come here and enjoy this beautiful country, raise some money and budget for a certain time period. Party, drink, do what you want, but do not do it at Cambodians expense. PLEASE. People like you will continue to make it harder for Cambodia to recover from its past and become a thriving nation. Or consider learning the language, getting a basic teaching degree and actually putting the time in to improve Cambodians lives.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic