Foreigner dies after drinking in Intoxica bar

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

On Tuesday 21st a foreigner in his fifties died in a tuk tuk after drinking in Intoxica bar in street 130. He was taken to a clinic after being loaded into the tuk tuk by the bar staff, but apparently died before he could revive any medical care.
Cue hordes of police at the bar the following morning, conducting an investigation....
Anyone know anything else about this? The identity of the customer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Foreigner dies after drinking in Intoxica bar

Post by kgbagent »

Jay?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

I heard they have a $2 wine special

kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Re: Phnom Penh: 45-year-old Singaporean man dead.
Postby Loy9 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:05 pm

The victim suffered a heart attack while playing billiards at Intoxica Bar which is situated Street 130, Phsar Kandal 1 commune, Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh.

The victim stayed at River House hotel ( :?: )in Street 242, Chatomukh commune, Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh.

by Loy9 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:47 pm

That's interesting :!:

(Alleged) Medical malpractice of Central Hospital leads to Singaporean man's dead.

According to information/reports from the place of incident:
Commotion was caused after (the news) leaked that the doctors of Central Hospital which is situated along Street 154, North of Sorya Mall, in Phsar Thmey 3 commune, Daun Penh district, threatened a sick Singaporean man not using the correct technique(s) which led to the death of the man.
The incident happened on March 20 2017 at 9PM.

Around 8PM they (the source) saw an ill Singaporean man, identified as 'Pai' (?), around 40-year-old, arriving at the hospital on board of a tuk-tuk.
After around 1 hour several doctors came outside the hospital in a panic.

Immediately the hospital called/waived over a tuk-tuk with the intention to take away the (victim's) corpse but because they (the hospital) noticed Military Police and reporters (standing) in front of the hospital to aborted their plan.

4 Hours after the incident, around 1AM, a vehicle picked-up the corpse.

It should be noted that no local authorities were noticed during above incident. Moreover, it looks like the hospital tried to cover up things.

The hospital could't be reached for a clarification.

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

kgbagent wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm Re: Phnom Penh: 45-year-old Singaporean man dead.

The victim suffered a heart attack while playing billiards at Intoxica Bar which is situated Street 130, Phsar Kandal 1 commune, Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh.

The victim stayed at River House hotel ( :?: )in Street 242, Chatomukh commune, Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh.

(Alleged) Medical malpractice of Central Hospital leads to Singaporean man's dead.

Commotion was caused after (the news) leaked that the doctors of Central Hospital which is situated along Street 154, North of Sorya Mall, in Phsar Thmey 3 commune, Daun Penh district, threatened a sick Singaporean man not using the correct technique(s) which led to the death of the man.

Around 8PM they (the source) saw an ill Singaporean man, identified as 'Pai' (?), around 40-year-old, arriving at the hospital on board of a tuk-tuk.

Immediately the hospital called/waived over a tuk-tuk with the intention to take away the (victim's) corpse but because they (the hospital) noticed Military Police and reporters (standing) in front of the hospital to aborted their plan.

It should be noted that no local authorities were noticed during above incident. Moreover, it looks like the hospital tried to cover up things.

Can you clarify
jah steu wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 pm On Tuesday 21st a foreigner in his fifties died in a tuk tuk after drinking in Intoxica bar in street 130. He was taken to a clinic after being loaded into the tuk tuk by the bar staff, but apparently died before he could revive any medical care.
Did he die in the Tuk Tuk or after admission? If he was Doa likely they would not take him.

You say that they "threatened a sick Singaporean man not using the correct technique(s) which led to the death of the man."
yet the implication is that he was Doa. Please give some correct information and reference and I will investigate.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:10 pm
kgbagent wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm Re: Phnom Penh: 45-year-old Singaporean man dead.

Can you clarify
jah steu wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 pm On Tuesday 21st a foreigner in his fifties died in a tuk tuk after drinking in Intoxica bar in street 130. He was taken to a clinic after being loaded into the tuk tuk by the bar staff, but apparently died before he could revive any medical care.
Did he die in the Tuk Tuk or after admission? If he was Doa likely they would not take him.

You say that they "threatened a sick Singaporean man not using the correct technique(s) which led to the death of the man."
yet the implication is that he was Doa. Please give some correct information and reference and I will investigate.

The bit I quoted was from KoonKhmer and looks like a translate to English ---- JahSteu seemed to think the guy was dead on the way to hospital --- my read is he was DOA and the hospital wanted him taken elsewhere but were observed by bystanders so freaked out
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

The version I heard (but cannot verify) was that he was taken to Central hospital and was still alive on arrival. The staff there decided they couldn't help him and so loaded him back onto the tuk tuk. He subsequently died.
As I say I can't verify this. In my initial report I didn't want to defame the hospital so I left that bit out, but it seems to be public knowledge now.
I would comment that I went to Central hospital with severe arythmia (rapid irregular heartbeat) some months ago at night time and was told to go back home and rest.
Luckily my gf didn't take this advice, and we went to Royal Phnom Penh, who fixed me up a couple of hours, several tests and drugs, and $550 later.
I'd previously been to Central for a cardio check-up/consult and had been impressed with them. They have a good cardio doctor there whose diagnosis and comments on my condition matched Aussie doctors exactly. I guess their emergency department may not be as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by jah steu on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

kgbagent wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:09 pm
The bit I quoted was from KoonKhmer and looks like a translate to English ---- JahSteu seemed to think the guy was dead on the way to hospital --- my read is he was DOA and the hospital wanted him taken elsewhere but were observed by bystanders so freaked out
Looks like the guy reporting the incident on KoonKhmer is quoting an English translation of a Khmer report as you said. However as he does not list his source it can't be checked. It looks like a bit of "sensationalist" reporting to me. Central Hospital has a good reputation and the report seems very out of character.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Yep I have heard good comments about central as well but I guess a&e after hours can be hit and miss

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic