Mango [ and apple ] chutney

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Mango [ and apple ] chutney

Post by Duncan »

So your got nothing to do ?

Try making some of this chutney while mangoes are cheap. You can make it in a pot or a rice cooker and I just threw in the ingredients that I thought would make it good,,, and it turned out very yummy. Goes good with rice and chicken. I guess i should have written all the ingredients down , but it was something like this.

4 --- not too ripe mangoes.
3------apples.
half cup cider vinegar.
half cup or more pineapple juice.
half cup raisins.
one cup sugar.
2 cloves of garlic.
small piece of crushed ginger
one onion
some chilies sauce

cook for 10 minuets and simmer for 30 minuets [ with no lid if there is too much liquid in it ]

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Mango [ and apple ] chutney

Post by cptrelentless »

You need to boil it longer
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cooking time looks about right to me, but what happened to cinnamon, chillies (sorry, chili sauce is NO substitute), cumin, coriander, nigella?????? This sounds more like a mango jam.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm Cooking time looks about right to me, but what happened to cinnamon, chillies (sorry, chili sauce is NO substitute), cumin, coriander, nigella?????? This sounds more like a mango jam.

As I said, I didn't write all the ingredients down . Salt plus whatever all to your own taste. No cook ever follows a recipe to the exact details,, especially someone else's recipe.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm Cooking time looks about right to me, but what happened to cinnamon, chillies (sorry, chili sauce is NO substitute), cumin, coriander, nigella?????? This sounds more like a mango jam.
And some curry powder.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I know that my mum used to have some in the cupboard in the kitchen, but what is it actually used for?

Please list the '101 Uses For Chutney'.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I use chutney in my meatloaf mix, also great on sandwiches with cold meats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:13 pm I know that my mum used to have some in the cupboard in the kitchen, but what is it actually used for?

Please list the '101 Uses For Chutney'.
I eat it with almost everything. When I make Chutney, I usually make 20 or so jars. Obviously goes well with Indian food (100 uses right there), steak, pasta, grilled chicken, any grilled meat for that matter, and my GF's kids like to eat it on bread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic