Motorcycle Servicing

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Airborne
Tourist

Motorcycle Servicing

Post by Airborne »

Hello everyone. I'm new to this group / forum. If things go as planned, I'll be arriving in Phnom Penh in about 3 months. I desperately want to have a motorcycle as my main mode of transport, but I've researched enough to see that the purchase price of a motorcycle (or even car for that matter!) is outrageously expensive in Cambodia. And it's a dodgy undertaking to try to bring one across the border from Vietnam or Thailand. Even motorcycles from those neighbouring countries are far too expensive. It's cheaper to bring one in from overseas. But, I would need to know what servicing and maintenance companies are there in Phnom Penh? What big names are supported there? KTM, BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, etc? And if anyone has been through the importing procedures, I'd love to know how that works too please? Thank you!! A.
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: Motorcycle Servicing

Post by Raybull »

Airborne wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 pm Hello everyone. I'm new to this group / forum. If things go as planned, I'll be arriving in Phnom Penh in about 3 months. I desperately want to have a motorcycle as my main mode of transport, but I've researched enough to see that the purchase price of a motorcycle (or even car for that matter!) is outrageously expensive in Cambodia. And it's a dodgy undertaking to try to bring one across the border from Vietnam or Thailand. Even motorcycles from those neighbouring countries are far too expensive. It's cheaper to bring one in from overseas. But, I would need to know what servicing and maintenance companies are there in Phnom Penh? What big names are supported there? KTM, BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, etc? And if anyone has been through the importing procedures, I'd love to know how that works too please? Thank you!! A.
I assume you want to ride a bigger bike. Forget about importing anything as you'll have to pay import tax to register and licence your bike, it's not worth the hassle. Look on khmer24.com for what's available. Easy enough to service at independent shops although you may have to wait for parts from Thailand. KTM has a full range of bikes here, Kawa and Honda only the lower range, Suzuki only small bikes AfAIK, BMW dunno, just google it.
Airborne
Tourist

Post by Airborne »

Hi there. And thanks for that. Ice seen the mad import rates totalling 115-122% of arbitrary valuations done by import customs officials. And yes, I'm looking for larger bikes, like Adventure or Sports Tourers over 1000cc. I just couldn't find any (even small!) showrooms online to ask. Occasionally, as I religiously check Khmer24, I'd see people selling bigger bikes, but even then, prices are high. They're often asking close to new prices for 4-5+ year old machines. But, it's good to know that there are independent repair shops around who can offer support. Out of interest, are you a biker yourself? I'll be looking for like-minded compatriots when I get there... Thanks again!! A.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm no biker but I think you will find plenty of Harleys available here. A guy on Sisowath opposite the port, st 82 or 84 has plenty and seems to have the workshop facilities to work on them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bigger bikes that you mention, 2nd hand are available from a number of bike shops in and around the 136/144 side streets, not sure on prices, but im guessing some are ex "bike tour" bikes
getting bigger bikes serviced here is usually a problem as they only ususally stock parts for the smaller bikes that they have in showrooms dreams/waves etc
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Airborne wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 pm Hi there. And thanks for that. Ice seen the mad import rates totalling 115-122% of arbitrary valuations done by import customs officials. And yes, I'm looking for larger bikes, like Adventure or Sports Tourers over 1000cc. I just couldn't find any (even small!) showrooms online to ask. Occasionally, as I religiously check Khmer24, I'd see people selling bigger bikes, but even then, prices are high. They're often asking close to new prices for 4-5+ year old machines. But, it's good to know that there are independent repair shops around who can offer support. Out of interest, are you a biker yourself? I'll be looking for like-minded compatriots when I get there... Thanks again!! A.
Big bikes are expensive here, but generally cheaper than neighbouring countries. If you import from there, you'll be paying two import taxes, so most imports come from Japan. KTM is the only dealership that I know of that sells large bikes up to the 1290, although I've heard that Kawasaki might start selling the 650s soon. It is what it is, maybe you should see how the locals drive here before buying anything. :crazy: You don't need much more than 500cc here IMO.
BTW, motorbike taxes are lower than vehicle taxes (which are 127%). Here's the chart, although it dates back to 2015. Image
Last edited by Raybull on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Raybull wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 pm You don't need much more than 500cc here IMO.
this lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Raybull wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 pm You don't need much more than 500cc here IMO.
this lol
Btw, whats the word in front of the percentages on that chart?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Raybull wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm
this lol
Btw, whats the word in front of the percentages on that chart?
ពិន័យ​ pinay. Fine, penalty, but in this context I guess it means duty/tax.
Airborne
Tourist

Post by Airborne »

Thanks again for the speedy reply Raybull, and hi to everyone else who's pitched in. I had head and heart set on something ~1000cc, because my first bike was a Litre V-twin sports bike, which I was uber-careful on. I couldn't fathom being on a 125/250/300/500 cc simply because I'm 6'2", 200lbs/90kgs and rugby build. Even most 600 SuperSports are powerful enough, true, but I look like a pretzel on it. Not for me. Hence Adventure bike or Sport Tourer. The job I'm hoping comes my way soon would have me on shift patterns of 4 days on, 2 days off, and I was hoping to do a few tours around Cambodia; nothing too insane, just travelling. Maybe find like minded people and make it a semi regular thing. But I digress. I've ridden in the South of Spain where Road regulations are optional. I've driven for 16+ years around the Middle East, where Road regulations are "coming soon"... But I take your point and I've seen the chicken-run style driving around the city of Phnom Penh, and the donkey slalom when outside the cities. I'm ok with that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic