Boots on the Ground Info.....?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Boots on the Ground Info.....?

Post by WildA »

Guys you have been very informative. Some questions:

1. What would the average wage be for a bilingual, experienced cook.

2. Do Cambodian folks patronize western food establishments that are in the lower priced range? This question is more of a palate issue as opposed to price. In other words, do locals enjoy Fusion styles...here: would a fried fish ball infused with Cambodian herbs and appropriate sauces be acceptable to the Cambodian local palate?

3. Do resteraunts or food carts take CCs?

4. Is there anyone here who is or was involved in the food biz in Cambodia? May I pick your brain?
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Boots on the Ground Info.....?

Post by epidemiks »

1. Cambodian? $300
2. Generally, no. It's not as much about the palate as the aspirational desire. If they're going to be eating barang food, they'll want to be eating in a nice foreign place, or a chain restaurants, not cheap looking places.
3. Some do. Food carts don't. I don't believe there's a mobile payment system offered by any bank here.
4. I am not.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

OP if you think food carts in Cambodia take credit cards your head is obviously far from grounded.

My advice get into the country with USD and buy your food cart then sink or swim .........
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Trinitysmackstain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:05 am OP if you think food carts in Cambodia take credit cards your head is obviously far from grounded.

My advice get into the country with USD and buy your food cart then sink or swim .........
Judging by the 100 Cambodians that were eating at the Lucky restaurant in Takhmau yesterday afternoon, and it was all individuals or small groups I think the way to go is in a food chain like KFC, Mc Donalds etc. OK I/we know it's rubbish food but Cambodians like the experience of taking kids out to dinner the same as in ''our'' countries.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Some khmer eat foreign food, my neighbours will eat things I've made. It's usually best to hedge your bets and have fried rice/noodles on the menu. Bbq works as well, especially duck, and seafood. You don't mention your cuisine. Unless you're a five star chef it'll be anywhere from $150 to $500 pm. Depends on where you are. Get more in Siem Reap and PP than Shv or Kampot.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

1) My Chef got considerably more than $500;-)

2) As others: it is either Malis for the rich who want to show off, fastfood chains and Brown Cafe for the middle class, and little red plastic chairs for everybody.

3) Did you seriously ask if food carts take credit cards?

4) Nope, only ran a hotel.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Seriously​ did ask, saw it in BKK. Pay Pal or something. Off of an Iphone with a swiper. I should have clarified that the question was more aimed at card carrying tourists.

I really appreciate all the info.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm 1) My Chef got considerably more than $500;-)

2) As others: it is either Malis for the rich who want to show off, fastfood chains and Brown Cafe for the middle class, and little red plastic chairs for everybody.

May I impose on you with some additonal questions?
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

cptrelentless wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm Some khmer eat foreign food, my neighbours will eat things I've made. It's usually best to hedge your bets and have fried rice/noodles on the menu. Bbq works as well, especially duck, and seafood. You don't mention your cuisine. Unless you're a five star chef it'll be anywhere from $150 to $500 pm. Depends on where you are. Get more in Siem Reap and PP than Shv or Kampot.
The cuisine is I guess modern american fusion. Easy enough for someone who know his way around a grill, fryer and wok.

I partnered in a Food trailer and it was fusing asian/mexican/american with local ingredients and my own touches. Blackened Salmon quesadillas. Buffalo Chicken wings. Thai style shrimp fried rice. Grilled octopus balls (modified Tako-Yaki). and so on.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

WildA wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 am
hanno wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm 1) My Chef got considerably more than $500;-)

May I impose on you with some additonal questions?
Sure, PM me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic