A good starting point? (Coming to Cambodia to teach English)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A good starting point? (Coming to Cambodia to teach English)

Post by John Bingham »

I know the Fall very well, saw them loads of times. I like that song a lot, so cheers.
BTW you do realise that most bed-sits in the UK, which I have seen/ lived-in in my younger days, are far smaller and grottier than those 4 x 4 x 3 m sized rooms you seem to hate so much.
I never lived in a bed-sit. I lived in dozens of squats though, from council flats to mansions with private drives. Some were pretty grotty but they all had decent amounts of space.
Have you ever seen a piece of 2 x 4?
I have, I'm quite good at carpentry.

Back to the Fall:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

John Bingham wrote:
'four by two' also gun cleaning cloth. Seen plenty of it when I was in the military. :D

juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:I know the Fall very well, saw them loads of times. I like that song a lot, so cheers.
BTW you do realise that most bed-sits in the UK, which I have seen/ lived-in in my younger days, are far smaller and grottier than those 4 x 4 x 3 m sized rooms you seem to hate so much.
I never lived in a bed-sit. I lived in dozens of squats though, from council flats to mansions with private drives. Some were pretty grotty but they all had decent amounts of space.

Back to the Fall:

The Fall are a great band. Any good at making Georgian glazed porches? I'm thinking of fancying up the front of my 4 x 4.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Richka189
Tourist

Post by Richka189 »

I am not sure if this is relevant and whatnot but I actually ended up staying for 4 days in Phnom Penh, then I took a bus to Saigon, spent a few days there and up I flew to Shanghai where now I work. I realised that the amount of cash I had wasn't enough and I chose a more safe option.

I might come back, I had a great time.

I know, no one gives a fuck. But I couldn't leave this without any update. BIG Thanks to the expat community for all the help.

Cheers
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Richka189 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:06 am I wouldn't dare to create a duplicate post just to piss people off... but this is quite different.

What I recently did is I bought a plane ticket. So there is no turning back.

I am a non-native speaker of English who is looking forward to get into teaching. I might not have a sound understanding of the English grammar or whatnot but my spoken English is fairly good and I have a proper accent. Now I understand that some of you Americans and British consider teaching as a shitty job, please have in mind that my options are limited and this is probably what I'll be doing for the next few years.

I don't expect much in terms of accommodation standards and pay. Having said that... I'm bringing about 2000$.

Is it possible land a job having a TEFL and no teaching experience? Any other advice?

Cheers
Richka189 wrote: I am not sure if this is relevant and whatnot but I actually ended up staying for 4 days in Phnom Penh, then I took a bus to Saigon, spent a few days there and up I flew to Shanghai where now I work. I realised that the amount of cash I had wasn't enough and I chose a more safe option.

I know, no one gives a fuck. But I couldn't leave this without any update. BIG Thanks to the expat community for all the help.

Cheers

Thanks for the follow-up Richka. On the contrary (to no one gives a fuck), this will be a good guideline for others who want to know if they can "make it "in Cambodia as an English teacher. There are more and more posts here from people who want to move to Cambodia, so good to have someone's actual experience.
Have fun in Shanghai. :beer3:
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Richka189 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:07 pm I am not sure if this is relevant and whatnot but I actually ended up staying for 4 days in Phnom Penh, then I took a bus to Saigon, spent a few days there and up I flew to Shanghai where now I work. I realised that the amount of cash I had wasn't enough and I chose a more safe option.

Cheers
Considerate of you to provide an update :thumb:
How did you get a teaching job in a first tier city without a bachelor degree, no experience, and the new rules that require native proficiency?

ADVChina has covered the scene well.

Or did you just get a white monkey job?

BTW, SerpantZA and laowhy86 are good China vloggers, together they do ADVChina, great channel that one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic