How long is long stay ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

How long is long stay ?

Post by whereami »

Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by phuketrichard »

1 month min.

good luck finding a job with zero quailifications
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

ur grammar is worse than mine

but i aint looking for a teaching job!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

whereami wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ?"

Easy, it will be what you and the owner or his mouthpiece agree on. Terms and conditions will.be determined during negotiations. I suspect that a month minimum would give both of you more wiggle room to lower the rate substantially.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

You can teach privately, rather than in a school. You might want to find a different niche, though. Can you play poker?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Trinitysmackstain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am
whereami wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.

not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm

not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
Yeh i recomend the OP just gove the owner 10 a day then have AC 24 hours a day that way that cant say shit about the bill coz your gone to the next place.
You know 75 USD is a average bill for my neighbour last month.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Trinitysmackstain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Yeh i recomend the OP just gove the owner 10 a day then have AC 24 hours a day that way that cant say shit about the bill coz your gone to the next place.
at my new place my bills come to around 20-30$ depending on how much i use the aircon,
i do remember one of my neighbors in my last apartments last year accidently racked up a $200 electric bill :facepalm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm

at my new place my bills come to around 20-30$ depending on how much i use the aircon,
i do remember one of my neighbors in my last apartments last year accidently racked up a $200 electric bill :facepalm:
While you were paying 3-4$. I hope He/She took your room with the faulty meter when you moved out.
Alot of the newer guesthouses have ind. meters now and will insist on it for long stay deals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic