otres river

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

otres river

Post by SinnSisamouth »

friend and me wanna canoe up/down otres river but i have heard people say it is polluted.

as far as i can see there is no commercial activity or even any houses until u get down towards the marina so how can it be polluted?

dprs it go all the way to the he economic zone?

thanks
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Re: otres river

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

SinnSisamouth wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am friend and me wanna canoe up/down otres river but i have heard people say it is polluted.

as far as i can see there is no commercial activity or even any houses until u get down towards the marina so how can it be polluted?

thanks
Say hello to MR hanky for me.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Rivers magically take your garbage away, so you don't need it to be built up, just a convenient bridge. Or failing that as long as you are uphill from it it'll get there eventually. People tend to shit in the fields so it won't be solid poos, it's not quite India here.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

SinnSisamouth wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am friend and me wanna canoe up/down otres river but i have heard people say it is polluted.

thanks
I think that river is called the Ou Trojak Jet river. Around 18 years ago 3000 tons of mercury contaminated industrial waste from Taiwan was dumped in a field close to Bet Trang commune which is close to the river. Ok this was a long time ago and I think it was sorted out but just to let you know.

Four months after the waste arrived in Cambodia, local residents got what they wanted: its removal.

The process began in late December 1998 when Taiwan's Environmental Protection Administration ordered Formosa to retrieve the waste. It was not until the following February that a Formosa delegation sent to Cambodia concluded an agreement with the government to do so. Under the agreement, an American engineering and environmental company, Camp Dresser and McKee Inc., was appointed as a third party expert to oversee the removal and decontamination of the dumpsite. As such, the firm was working for both Formosa and the Cambodian government but paid by Formosa. Separately, Formosa contracted an American hazardous waste landfill company, Safety-Kleen Services, Inc., to take the waste. Under the guidance of the two U.S. firms and some twenty Formosa staff, Cambodian soldiers were used to empty the waste out from the old drums, not suitable for transport, into new ones. More than 4,000 tons of topsoil was also put into drums, as part of the dumpsite clean-up.https://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/cambot ... 996-05.htm

From a NYT article 1999

One after another, members of 40 families who evacuated the village of Bet Trang told similar stories of mysterious ailments that began after dozens of trucks arrived in the night and unloaded the material nearby. In the weeks since then, the dump has aroused international concern and caused a local panic. A dock worker who cleaned out the hold of a ship transporting the material died, and five others were hospitalized.http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/04/world ... -wake.html
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Formosa, huh? I guess the same Formosa that wiped out fish in large parts of Central Vietnam last year.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:20 pm Formosa, huh? I guess the same Formosa that wiped out fish in large parts of Central Vietnam last year.
I think so "Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Corp accepts the blame, and promises $500 million in compensation for the damage."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

thanks

Always best to go canoeing in unpolluted waters where there is no commercial activity like this.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

There's another video kicking around which covers the massive clean up they had to do at Windscale, these massive piles of crap just sitting in concrete pools of greenish water. They were peering in with cameras trying to work out what was lurking in there.
Norris Cole
Tourist

Post by Norris Cole »

Over the past few years ive seen shitty nappies chucked over balconies, black bin liners full of shit chucked in, waste water from toilets, sinks etc also waste water from washing machines and these are by the western owners. Before the village the waters were very clear with good visibility.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Norris Cole wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:31 pm Over the past few years ive seen shitty nappies chucked over balconies, black bin liners full of shit chucked in, waste water from toilets, sinks etc also waste water from washing machines and these are by the western owners. Before the village the waters were very clear with good visibility.

I have always been told that the water on top is so clear you can see the dirty water below it . ???
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic