Who's flying today

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Who's flying today

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Who's flying today

Post by bolueeleh »

propeller plane has always been safer than jet egines, jet is just a big bunsen burner, could snuff out in any instant, it is just poor maintenance, as always human beings is always the weakest link
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Prop planes safer than jets, complete bollocks.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:22 pm Prop planes safer than jets, complete bollocks.
so we have another pilot or aircraft engineer here? please provide clearer arguments to counter my statement, thanks
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

bolueeleh wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:33 pm
willyhilly wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:22 pm Prop planes safer than jets, complete bollocks.
so we have another pilot or aircraft engineer here? please provide clearer arguments to counter my statement, thanks
They are equally safe. Prop engine usually has more moving parts, thus bigger chance something to breaking down. But I remember seeing stats that show in commercial use, both are equally safe. Couldn't find the stats now though.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I think the big question is ,,, Who did the regular maintenance on the plane and are they doing it on other planes like the one I'm about to get on .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:33 pm
They are equally safe. Prop engine usually has more moving parts, thus bigger chance something to breaking down. But I remember seeing stats that show in commercial use, both are equally safe. Couldn't find the stats now though.
I would imagine that is the case - speaking from a non-scientist, non-engineer perspective. However, I have always felt safer in a jet rather than a prop. It is probably based on the sense of security - false or otherwise - that the size and power a jet gives me. I've been on too many prop flights where it has felt that the aircraft has been fighting its way along, getting buffeted around. Jets, although still subject to turbulence and so forth, have a much more "Yeah? Fuck you winds and air pressure. This is where I'm going, and quickly too."
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

turboprop planes can usually gilde after loss of power jet engines cannot

due to size and shit
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

SinnSisamouth wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 pm turboprop planes can usually gilde after loss of power jet engines cannot

due to size and shit
Even I know that's wrong :)
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

if u guys compare the airflow between the propeller and jet engine, airflow over prop plane are mostly diverted over its prop. where else for the jet engine all of the airflow are sucked into the engine, there fore in adverse weather i.e. volcano ashes, micro ice crystals and micro particles could adversely affect the jet engine.

who cant fly in fair weather? thats why prop plane are safer in adverse weather (another example NOAA flew ATR72 directly into hurricanes!!! for weather surveys), that being said jet engine is more efficient flying at FL300 and above, so jet plane encounter less weather and perceived to be safer (less turbulence)

:beer3: :beer3: :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic