'Broteong' - the traditional Cambodian quail trap

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

'Broteong' - the traditional Cambodian quail trap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: 'Broteong' - the traditional Cambodian quail trap

Post by hanno »

God, how I hate to see this:-) Incidentally, they look like Button-quail.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

While I don't share Hanno's love of birds and birding I nonetheless recognize their value as a natural and powerful substitute for insecticides.
Our land is one of the few house plots that is still well forested-especially with a variety of fruit trees. And every year an itinerant Cham goes to the back of our property where he is less visible from our home to trap doves. His method differs from that of the video. He has two cages one which holds a male dove and an empty one with a trap door. When the male sings in the first cage a female enters the empty adjacent cage where the door snaps shut. While doves are his specialty he does trap or kill other species. He really can't understand 1) why he isn't allowed to trespass 2) why anyone would object and 3) what right a foreign owner has to throw him off the land

In all of my time here I have never seen a parrot in the wild. The locals have ravaged the snake population, especially cobra and sangsoea and now they have to electrify a low wire around the rice paddies to kill the rats which like the small birds are sold quite cheaply at the local market.
The only monkeys I have seen have been at wats.
My mother-in-law claims they were plentiful in her youth, in fact prior to Pol Pot times there was the occasional tiger. The Cambodia I fell in love with is quickly being destroyed by the rich and the desperate.

As an addendum the word used for the trap in the video appears to be dialectical. My wife knows a variant of that word which I've not included figuring it would B of next to no use for the bulk of the readership.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

do not impose western ideology on people barely able to eat enough to survive, im sure anybody would do anything if their survival is at stake
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

bolueeleh wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:39 pm do not impose western ideology on people barely able to eat enough to survive, im sure anybody would do anything if their survival is at stake
Right, that is why nothing moves in Cambodia's forests anymore? Wait, the starving people also cut down the forests to eat....
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"do not impose western ideology on people barely able to eat enough to survive, im sure anybody would do anything if their survival is at stake"

First, as I told you they sell them at the markets, so it's not for personal consumption alone. If it was I would not like it, but I could understand the need.

Secondly. I will most assuredly" impose western ideology " on motherfuckers who poach on my property. We are not wealthy and deserve to harvest the fruits (especially mangoes) of our labor.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

taabarang wrote: "do not impose western ideology on people barely able to eat enough to survive, im sure anybody would do anything if their survival is at stake"

First, as I told you they sell them at the markets, so it's not for personal consumption alone. If it was I would not like it, but I could understand the need.

Secondly. I will most assuredly" impose western ideology " on motherfuckers who poach on my property. We are not wealthy and deserve to harvest the fruits (especially mangoes) of our labor.
yes it wrong for them to be stealing from ur land
hanno wrote:
bolueeleh wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:39 pm do not impose western ideology on people barely able to eat enough to survive, im sure anybody would do anything if their survival is at stake
Right, that is why nothing moves in Cambodia's forests anymore? Wait, the starving people also cut down the forests to eat....
they are cutting down trees to sell for money for food, im not saying the rich deforesting a whole forest (those need to be hanged by their necks), im saying people who cut trees trap animals to feed themselves. chill
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I tbhink that you will find that you are mostly wrong, but whatever; I bow to your infinite wisdom.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Out in the hills, the boys have run out of wood to pilfer from the forest so now they're all chasing meat for a dollar. Last chance to see a whole lotta wildlife.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic