What is open during KNY?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
tripthrowaway8
Tourist

What is open during KNY?

Post by tripthrowaway8 »

Just wondering if someone can tell me all the ins and outs with Songkram.

From a "things open" perspective, when does it start? when does it end? I know the official dates, I'm talking from a practical perspective. Like Easter starts Friday, but most people have a half day Thursday.

Are markets open? Central Market? Aeon (and other) malls?

Is the Phnom Tamao Zoo open? Seafood in Kien Svay?

Restaurants in general? Massage (non-sexual)?

Been once before and loved it but can only take Easter off work. (which happens to coincide with KNY this year). I don't mind a ghost town as long as things are open and people arn't throwing water at me.

Thanks
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: What is open during KNY?

Post by Username Taken »

Are you asking about Thailand or Cambodia?

In Thai, songkhram means war. But I know you really mean songkran with an 'n'.
In Cambodia we don't have songkran, it is just plain Khmer New Year. Also, in Cambodia it would be highly unlikely that anyone will be throwing water at you.

Most local markets will be open but with only a skeleton crew of sellers. But most stuff is still available. Lucky Supermarket will be open, as will Sorya, Sovanna and Aeon malls, but many small shops will be closed.

In years past, PP was a ghost town at KNY, however I've noticed in recent years that there are more places staying open than in the past.
Some food delivery places (pizza) will be closed, or have a reduced delivery area/schedule.

Transportation can be problematic. A few years back I got called in to work for an emergency issue at KNY, but near my house there were no motos or tuk tuks. I had to walk about 1K before I found a moto.

Apart from that, a list of what restaurants and bars will be open over KNY would be useful.
tripthrowaway8
Tourist

Post by tripthrowaway8 »

Sorry I thought its called the same thing because its on the same time every year.

Yes this is for Cambodia. I have been in PP once elsewhere during the year but not KNY and had the unfortunate experience of being soaked in BKK during Songkran.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm
In Cambodia we don't have songkran, it is just plain Khmer New Year.
That's not really true, the first day of Khmer New Year is called Maha Sangkran (មហាសង្រ្កាន្) .

In years past, PP was a ghost town at KNY, however I've noticed in recent years that there are more places staying open than in the past.
I've noticed that too. I think a lot of people just don't want to travel out of the city because of the traffic congestion.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 pm
Username Taken wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm
In Cambodia we don't have songkran, it is just plain Khmer New Year.
That's not really true, the first day of Khmer New Year is called Maha Sangkran (មហាសង្រ្កាន្) .
I knew someone would pull my up on that one. You are, of course, correct. However, all Thais will refer to it as Songkran, while Khmers will refer to it as Jol Chnum (KNY).

:beer3:
tripthrowaway8
Tourist

Post by tripthrowaway8 »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm Apart from that, a list of what restaurants and bars will be open over KNY would be useful.
What would be considered tourist/backpacker ground zero? Street 172?
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Is markets and shit going to be open on new year?

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

To buy food and stuff.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic