Cambodia's 1st undersea communications cable to be operational early next year.

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Re: Cambodia's 1st undersea communications cable to be operational early next year.

Post by Fourkinnel »

I wish it would connect to Philippines. I go there soon and know the internet far far worse than here. And the few ISP's have got the country over a barrel, can charge extortionate fees for bad service!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Cambodia's 1st undersea communications cable to be operational early next year.

Post by ExPenhMan »

Fourkinnel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 am I wish it would connect to Philippines. I go there soon and know the internet far far worse than here. And the few ISP's have got the country over a barrel, can charge extortionate fees for bad service!
It's no wonder when the Phils depends on the cursed Asia America Gateway, which has broken down twice already this year and four times last year. It's capacity is a very low 2.8 terabits/sec.
Jester
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jester »

ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:16 am
Here's a link to the MCT: http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/subm ... -mct-cable

This is a fully interactive site for ALL undersea cables operating around the world.
Thanks for the map, I am now using it to bring public pressure to bear, here in Davao, for more wire to be strung in. Amazingly, even though the President hails from here, our internet comes only from Guam (lol) and Indonesia or New Guinea (lol). The internet providers seem to surreptitiously, slyly solve the bottleneck by throttling way back like from the contractually promised 15 Mps, down to 150 Kbs, as it suits them. Apparently, since "throttling" is not allowed in my high-end contract, as the repair guy told me, it is called "migration". I call it "stealing".

I didn't want to be that Kano (Barang) who whinges all the time, but yeah, that's what I have now become.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Jester wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:16 am
Here's a link to the MCT: http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/subm ... -mct-cable

This is a fully interactive site for ALL undersea cables operating around the world.
Thanks for the map, I am now using it to bring public pressure to bear, here in Davao, for more wire to be strung in. Amazingly, even though the President hails from here, our internet comes only from Guam (lol) and Indonesia or New Guinea (lol). The internet providers seem to surreptitiously, slyly solve the bottleneck by throttling way back like from the contractually promised 15 Mps, down to 150 Kbs, as it suits them. Apparently, since "throttling" is not allowed in my high-end contract, as the repair guy told me, it is called "migration". I call it "stealing".

I didn't want to be that Kano (Barang) who whinges all the time, but yeah, that's what I have now become.
You might laugh about the internet "coming from Guam", perhaps it's the capacity of that cable that is the issue, because as you can see from the map, Guam has multiple connections to Japan, Hawaii-US and Australia (where it probably also offers redundancy to US via other cables). But yeah, you're probably due for a new cable by the looks of it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jester
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jester »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:39 pm
You might laugh about the internet "coming from Guam", perhaps it's the capacity of that cable that is the issue, because as you can see from the map, Guam has multiple connections to Japan, Hawaii-US and Australia (where it probably also offers redundancy to US via other cables). But yeah, you're probably due for a new cable by the looks of it.
Well yes I see your point,....

..yet I postulate that

(1) More pipes are better than fewer pipes, both for bandwidth and resilience in case of typhoon or other calamity

(2) The requirements of Anglos and Japs (can I say that here?) are always going to be more strident and shrill and demanding, than those of (mostly) chilled out islanders on Guam, Borneo, or Mindanao. And if I am going to latch on to the back of a truck while roller-skating, well, I would rather it be a fast truck.

Sure, the internet COULD be faster in Biloxi Mississippi than in Beverly Hills, California. But I bet it's not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic