Rooftop insulation

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Rooftop insulation

Post by juansweetpotato »

Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:45 pm This is how mine looks and is held in place.

How efficient is it Duncan ? does it keep the rooms below a lot cooler?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

juansweetpotato wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:29 pm
Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:45 pm This is how mine looks and is held in place.

How efficient is it Duncan ? does it keep the rooms below a lot cooler?
Yes, definitely works, but if you put your hand on the insulation it's warm. Two layers of this stuff would be a whole lot better than one.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

an air gap is the best insulation,which essentially is what that silver stuff is but just does it less efficiently

i saw a house with a 3 inch air gap and the inner surface was cool
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

SinnSisamouth wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:48 am an air gap is the best insulation,which essentially is what that silver stuff is but just does it less efficiently

i saw a house with a 3 inch air gap and the inner surface was cool
how about laying it on the ceiling as with traditional rock wool insulation ?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Rockwool is cheap and efficient.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

the foil bubble wrap stuff is not so much insulation as a reflector of heat, tho it would be better with some fibreglass/rockwool under it. That would be a good combo. There are coatings to paint on the roof that make it reflective, say silver paint. I've used one in the past that had bits of perlite or somesuch mixed in and was amazed at how effective it was. We're not talking insulation so much as keeping the heat out I'm guessing. I've often wondered how much that old school palm frond thatching costs, that would surely block the sun heating up the metal roof. Look better too. Kinda goin retro. I'm sure Thailand makes some kind of sunblocking roof coating like the stuff I used. I've looked into it. The main squeeze has a kitchen metal roof that's very low and it's an oven most times. I'd like to cover it with a deck. You see those in many places, top floor is decking with a roof over it. That would be the way to go for me.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mr Curious wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:52 am the foil bubble wrap stuff is not so much insulation as a reflector of heat, tho it would be better with some fibreglass/rockwool under it. That would be a good combo. There are coatings to paint on the roof that make it reflective, say silver paint. I've used one in the past that had bits of perlite or somesuch mixed in and was amazed at how effective it was. We're not talking insulation so much as keeping the heat out I'm guessing. I've often wondered how much that old school palm frond thatching costs, that would surely block the sun heating up the metal roof. Look better too. Kinda goin retro. I'm sure Thailand makes some kind of sunblocking roof coating like the stuff I used. I've looked into it. The main squeeze has a kitchen metal roof that's very low and it's an oven most times. I'd like to cover it with a deck. You see those in many places, top floor is decking with a roof over it. That would be the way to go for me.
The roof tiles, which are red , cover some of the roof area on my place and get very hot , so I painted them white. I was not keen on getting to close to the edge at four stories up [ that's a long way down ] so gave a young guy $10 to do the edges.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I"m betting you FEEL the difference. In fact it's a big topic now in some circles. There's even a group that paints roofs white by the dozens in NYC. Word is that NOT letting the sun create heat on your roof offsets heat retention by the ozone layer. Light bouncing off your roof is good, heat not so good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflectiv ... advantages
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I still think it's better to have a barrier down below the roof and air ventilation. For example, I have insulation on top of my drywall instead of up against the roof. I then have meshed opening for the wind to carry the heat away. The best would obviously be both under the roof and above the drywall, with an extractor fan or openings which allow the hot air to escape. I do like the idea of painting the roof white though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Screwing top hat on top of existing sheeting and putting a second layer of roofing on top is probably the best way along with rock wool in the ceiling space.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic