Ketamine bust; Sihanoukville factory charged with drug trafficking

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Ketamine bust; Sihanoukville factory charged with drug trafficking

Post by Username Taken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:34 am Why did he put his company's label on them then?
Good question. Maybe he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

:facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:34 am Why did he put his company's label on them then?
Good question. Maybe he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

:facepalm:
From what they say in the article, it seems that if the ketamine had been stored normally in boxes, instead of being hidden inside the computers, (showed up in xray?), they would have got through without a problem. Possibly with a little payment to fix the paperwork.
“Because of the problem of him hiding [them], that’s why we noticed it,” Mr. Song said. “If it was legal, and he stored them properly, no one would have noticed.”
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

juansweetpotato wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:32 am
OKW wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 pm hell, there is money to be made with that 10 bucks markup in PP. A weekly run perhaps? :)
i was told you can get it for under 10 bucks. that's quite a mark up for ignorance or greed - you decide.
It's one hell of a markup. If one has the necessary veterinary licenses etc. the vials can be purchased on line for like around $2 as I have seen from veterinary supply places. The pharmacies that sell it Cambodia are doing so illegally. The labels on the vials read it is manufactured in Germany. The law in Cambodia is that it is only to be used in hospitals - as stated by the main Pharmacie De La Gare and others.

I also checked several pharmacies for oxycodone which they are selling legally I assume. Most did not carry it. Of the ones that did the main pharmacy De La Gare sells 20mg , which is the largest they or any others i asked carry, and it was $15.53 . The lowest price i found from another was $7.50 for 10mg. I think that is quite a markup also as I recall I bought 10mg in Puerto Rico around 7 years ago for less than one dollar. In Manila the 40mg oxycontin(delayed release oxycodone) pills I bought were like $10.7 each which is cheaper than in Cambodia (as far as i could tell that large of a size, 40mg, is not even available in Cambodia) as are most all other pharmaceuticals also. Of course must have a prescription for oxycodone here in Philippines as it is pretty tightly controlled and so is zolpidem(Ambien) sleeping pills.
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

correction: Pharmacie Angkor Chey is selling the vials from Germany but looked again at the other type of vials which the pharmacy near market in Sihanoukville and the latest pharmacy in Phnom Penh at intersection streets 13 and 148 are both selling the same another brand which does not seem to be German. The writing on the label of the vial is so small i can't really tell for sure from where it is made or the company but did see at least one non a,b,c...z letter such as could have been a cambodian or Thai or chinese or whatever script so it is possible this could have been the local company involved in the bust. Will try to get a magnifying glass or something to see if i can more clearly make out what is written on the label.

But also question whether the company was actually shut down and/or itself was illegal or were they only cited for exporting illegally ?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@ zmth Thing is that this can't go on forever.
Up to you but it might be time to do your personal drug withdrawal on an island in the Philippines. Find a bungalow, get some smoke, a bottle of rum and some pills to help you and just chill. It will be rough but the alternative is rougher.

This unsolicited advice is meant with the best of intentions. I don't know if you have done drug withdrawal before, but frankly, it could be worse than on an island where everything is chill - and where there is no K. Up to you, and all the best. The K will not last forever.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"correction: Pharmacie Angkor Chey is selling"

They won't be if you keep posting stuff like that. They'll end up the way that Mikado and Sophies went. Memories of a Phnom Penh past.
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 pm "correction: Pharmacie Angkor Chey is selling"

They won't be if you keep posting stuff like that. They'll end up the way that Mikado and Sophies went. Memories of a Phnom Penh past.
yea i have wondered about that but i just assume no authorities who can read or understand English will take the time or interest to go thru these posts and those otherwise who do take the time to go thru this will tell ? What's the deal with Mikado and Sophies?
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 pm @ zmth Thing is that this can't go on forever.
Up to you but it might be time to do your personal drug withdrawal on an island in the Philippines. Find a bungalow, get some smoke, a bottle of rum and some pills to help you and just chill. It will be rough but the alternative is rougher.

This unsolicited advice is meant with the best of intentions. I don't know if you have done drug withdrawal before, but frankly, it could be worse than on an island where everything is chill - and where there is no K. Up to you, and all the best. The K will not last forever.
It's not like opiate withdrawal or anything like that as I really only get the urge when i go to bars and bar like places esp those with loud music. NOt something i usually do or have the urge to do alone and in all aspects of life while opiates and similar such as Tramadol are something one does alone in the quiet and generally everywhere and anywhere in all aspects of general living. Still do have somewhat of a tramadol habit , since the past 6 or so years I don't do it everyday, and it is especially good for mental concentration and study while ketamine certainly is not. Tramadol withdrawal was/and still somewhat is a problem and much depression to stop.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

When I first came here (late 90s) you could get Ketamine made by Bayer in Dublin easily in the pharmacies. I thought that was funny, because I'd gone past that factory on my way to school for years, one of my best mate's mothers worked there. I'd taken tons of the stuff before - but I didn't feel inclined to here. The place seemed a bit dark and creepy to be losing control of your senses out and about. I have to say I loved the stuff back in the days of Teknivals and warehouse parties. People look messy when they take it, but you aren't seeing what they are. It makes people look drunk but they're actually tripping of f their nuts. :dm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Eros
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Eros »

Lots of K in tablet 25$ and powder $10-15 being sold at one club (that i know of, probably others also) in Sville, straight from the waiters to the table, toilets are full with guys / girls 4-5 per cubicle... using.
all the girls from the sq love it... its having quite a resurgence as a few years ago not many would touch it, or maybe they would just deny it.... these days they are really craving it.
Casa used to be the place for it in PP years ago, but haven't been there for many years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic