Struggling to decide if the move would be right for me?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Rjohnson
Tourist

Re: Struggling to decide if the move would be right for me?

Post by Rjohnson »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 pm
Rjohnson wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:59 pm Hi! As you can tell I'm not an expat yet, I'm still trying to decide weather I should bite the bullet! I have a long term partner here in the UK which is why I'm struggling to decide which option would be best as I don't have any real desire at all to end that relationship however I'm unhappy in England. Was just hoping someone could shed some light on to a few questions I have?

Just a quick overview, I went to Cambodia on holiday and loved it. I would be looking to teach English initially. I have no formal qualifications in this yet however would obtain some TEFL or certificates beforehand. In a perfect world I would go freelance after gaining experience. My main reasons for wanting to move are cost of living, having the freedom to travel to other areas in Asia, basically a less stressful life and a little freedom. I'm tired of paying extortionate rent, making car payments, paying a fortune to enjoy life outside of work bla bla bla. So basically I feel like I could make the decision (or at least get closer) based on the answers on the questions below if anyone would be kind enough? I'm a 25 year old male if that makes a difference, would probably look to live in PP.

1) In terms of a permanent English teaching role how easy is it to find (a reliable) one if qualified?
2) How easy/cheap is it to take weekend breaks/holidays to nearby countries i.e. Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia etc. Are there many public holidays to take advantage of?
3) What is the working week like? I'm not sure if I'm mis-reading the info I've found but is 48 hours the normal working week?
4) In general what is the cost of living like? Do expats tend to have much disposable income after bills?
5) How is the quality of life for expats? Are most people generally happy living in Cambodia? Any specific pros and cons I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance. Please note I'm in no way under any preconceptions and I literally have no idea about the expat life there so happy to be filled in on anything relevant.
1) Lots of teaching jobs... having a TEFL doesnt make you qualified, you will probs earn the same without one
2) Living in PP would be easy enough, Busses are cheap but time consuming, Planes can be cheap, but not always
3) Dont know personally, i live here 7-8months of the year and go back to England to work for 4months in the summer
4) If youre earning $1000 per month, take away tax from your wages + Rent + Bills you will probs be left with like $5-600, after youve bought food/meals/drinks etc wont leave you a lot left at end of the month
5) If your only on a TEFL wage and dont have high standards of living, you could be happy, most young people who ive met that come over and teach normally last a couple of years

how much money would you be coming over with?
its one thing coming here on holiday and its another living here
if you got a decent wedge saved up, id say fuck it an go for it
but dont expect it to be simple and easy, it will likely not be how you thought and frustrating, especially with your plans to teach without any experience
youre still young, maybe try doing what i do for a few years and will give you a better idea about youre future plans
Thanks for the answers. I would look to come over with about £5000. Thanks for the advice!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Have you thought about doing something less drastic like just taking a sabbatical? Gather your thoughts? Maybe a new job or something? Moving to a new town? Do a course or something?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

not everyone can teach; its not just showing up in class and speaking english

I taught at Aua in Chiang mai for a month way back and hated it. Never again.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rjohnson wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:59 pm Hi! As you can tell I'm not an expat yet, I'm still trying to decide weather I should bite the bullet! I have a long term partner here in the UK which is why I'm struggling to decide which option would be best as I don't have any real desire at all to end that relationship however I'm unhappy in England. Was just hoping someone could shed some light on to a few questions I have?

Just a quick overview, I went to Cambodia on holiday and loved it. I would be looking to teach English initially. I have no formal qualifications in this yet however would obtain some TEFL or certificates beforehand. In a perfect world I would go freelance after gaining experience. My main reasons for wanting to move are cost of living, having the freedom to travel to other areas in Asia, basically a less stressful life and a little freedom. I'm tired of paying extortionate rent, making car payments, paying a fortune to enjoy life outside of work bla bla bla. So basically I feel like I could make the decision (or at least get closer) based on the answers on the questions below if anyone would be kind enough? I'm a 25 year old male if that makes a difference, would probably look to live in PP.

1) In terms of a permanent English teaching role how easy is it to find (a reliable) one if qualified?
2) How easy/cheap is it to take weekend breaks/holidays to nearby countries i.e. Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia etc. Are there many public holidays to take advantage of?
3) What is the working week like? I'm not sure if I'm mis-reading the info I've found but is 48 hours the normal working week?
4) In general what is the cost of living like? Do expats tend to have much disposable income after bills?
5) How is the quality of life for expats? Are most people generally happy living in Cambodia? Any specific pros and cons I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance. Please note I'm in no way under any preconceptions and I literally have no idea about the expat life there so happy to be filled in on anything relevant.

To me it seems your unhappy with your life from being bogged down with all the bullshit that society expects of you. Working , paying your taxes, paying off a mortgage on a house you will never own,, buying a car,, then the kids come along and you need to support a wife and 3 kids , so you need a bigger house and bigger car. Then after you work longer hours to pay for all this,, she fucks off with the kids and you will still not be free cause you will be supporting those kids till they are 18 plus years.

YOU ARE TRAPPED,,,, ESCAPE NOW.

My advice is to go cold turkey and cut all the ties with modern society and learn how to live with nothing and earn nothing for a few years. . By living in a commune or on the land you will relearn what is important in your life. Growing your own healthy fresh food and learning how to look after the one and only body that you will ever have, should be at the top of your must do list. Your only 25 yo, and if you come to Cambodia your just bringing all your problems of life, from one country to another country, and you will end up with even more problems in your life.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Rjohnson
Tourist

Post by Rjohnson »

Duncan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:08 am

To me it seems your unhappy with your life from being bogged down with all the bullshit that society expects of you. Working , paying your taxes, paying off a mortgage on a house you will never own,, buying a car,, then the kids come along and you need to support a wife and 3 kids , so you need a bigger house and bigger car. Then after you work longer hours to pay for all this,, she fucks off with the kids and you will still not be free cause you will be supporting those kids till they are 18 plus years.

YOU ARE TRAPPED,,,, ESCAPE NOW.

My advice is to go cold turkey and cut all the ties with modern society and learn how to live with nothing and earn nothing for a few years. . By living in a commune or on the land you will relearn what is important in your life. Growing your own healthy fresh food and learning how to look after the one and only body that you will ever have, should be at the top of your must do list. Your only 25 yo, and if you come to Cambodia your just bringing all your problems of life, from one country to another country, and you will end up with even more problems in your life.

Thanks for the advice, would certainly be something to consider!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic