Koh Tao - search for missing Russian woman

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Koh Tao - search for missing Russian woman

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Russian woman's mother believes her daughter had a diving accident. However, the body parts that were recovered were animal and not human, so the search continues...

Missing Woman’s mother arrives in Koh Tao: “She had never dived in the sea before”, she says

The mother of missing Russian tourist Valentina Novozhyonova said that her daughter had been learning to dive in Russia for four years.
But all her experience was in swimming pools – she had no experience of diving in the sea.

Her mother – who was not named in the Thai Rath story – told police yesterday that she is convinced that her daughter is missing because of an accident while diving.
She gave her own DNA to help with the investigation as divers continued to search new areas of the sea around Koh Tao on Saturday.

Valentina has not been seen since mid February. Body parts found on Friday thought to be her, turned out to be animal not human...
http://www.samuitimes.com/missing-woman ... -sea-says/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

It was two weeks before she was reported missing ? If the Russian woman was due to check out of the hostel, and all her belongings were still there, surely that would raise some concern after a day or two ? Not to mention, gone missing for a week or more, leaving all her stuff.

Hunt for Russian girl missing on Koh Tao sparks intense social media speculation

The hunt for a 23 year old Russian woman, who has been missing from Koh Tao for almost three weeks, has sparked intense speculation on Social Media sites. Valentina Novozhyonova was staying at the Koh Tao hostel, where she checked in on February 11th. She was due to leave on the 16th.

Concerns have been growing as to why the girl had been missing for two weeks before anybody was alerted, and questions have been asked as to whether the residents of Koh Tao tried to contain the story for fear of more bad publicity. One comment on an appeal put out to find the missing girl on the 3rd of March suggests at least one resident was concerned about bad publicity for an island that has a reputation for the deaths of many tourist. The post read

“As long as we don’t know anything else we should consider that everything is OK. Everybody on Koh Tao will know this story 2 hours after this post. So we will know very soon if she is just staying anywhere else. But at this point we should not post that on any public page or we will get shit from the media already tomorrow. Then maybe it is fine, but the internet had another shitty story from Koh Tao for ever”

The post provoked this angry response from one reader

“Just got to say that this was literally the worst response ever. Koh Tao deserves a bad rep if someone has gone missing and all its people care about is not making headlines. It’s been weeks since she even got on her phone, so yes this is a reason for concern.”
Samui Times
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Search Called Off for Missing Russian Woman on Koh Tao

Koh Tao police said on Monday they were no longer searching for a missing Russian tourist after finding no sign of her.

Police called off the three-week search for 23-year-old Valentina Novozhenova, who went missing on the southern resort island in mid-February.

Police are still waiting on tests of DNA taken from a green tank top and diving mask recovered earlier this month, said Lt. Col. Chokchai Sutthimek Koh Tao police.
Earlier forensic examination of bone fragments and flesh recovered from the sea determined they did not belong to Novozhenova, a deep-sea diver reported missing March 3, over two weeks after she was last seen.

Samui Times

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Three months after Russian girl vanished from “Death Island” Koh Tao there are many more questions than answers
By Ian Yarwood (Australian Lawyer)
Three months ago the Russian tourist, Valentina Novozhenova 23 disappeared from the Thai island of Koh Tao, also referred to as “Death Island” by expats living nearby.

The story was reported by the Samui Times on Friday, 3 March 2017 and picked up by The Sun newspaper in the UK on 6 March 2017. The news then quickly spread around the globe.

The authorities on Koh Tao had apparently allowed over two weeks to elapse before starting any sort of a search. However, once the international media started reporting on her disappearance a search for Valentina Novozhenova (sometimes spelled as “Novozhyonova”) suddenly became “urgent.”
I am yet to see any explanation from the Thai Police as to why they waited over two weeks before conducting any sort of a search. Frankly, I don’t believe there is any good explanation...

A few weeks after its first report, a person contacted the Samui Times claiming to be Russian and to have been one of Valentina’s close friends.
He said he wished to shed some light on Valentina’s disappearance and correct some of the statements attributed to the Thai police. In particular, he said that:
- Statements about Valentina’s mental health issues were exaggerated and she was not suicidal, despite implied suggestions that she was perhaps suicidal;
- Valentina had experience free diving in the Black Sea to depths below 20 metres, contrary to statements from the Thai Police; and
- Valentina did not have a “dive buddy” and statements that she had one who travelled on to the Philippines were false.

http://www.samuitimes.com/three-months- ... s-answers/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

her mother said
"But all her experience was in swimming pools – she had no experience of diving in the sea"
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

Well, her mother isn't correct on one thing, obviously. If she had freedived in the Black Sea she had experience of diving in the sea, the clue is in the name. :?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Seasquatch wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:47 pm Many people have lost their lives freediving alone but, if the body parts turn out to be the poor girl I have to think murder was involved.
Can you explain your reasoning?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

vladimir wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 pm
Seasquatch wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:47 pm Many people have lost their lives freediving alone but, if the body parts turn out to be the poor girl I have to think murder was involved.
Can you explain your reasoning?
I've lived at the beach most my life so I've been witness to a lot of drownings, where I live now there is a big scuba/free diving community and accidents happen, most people do not get found in pieces.

I have to admit though I think I was on the sauce that night and might of remembered when a couple guys in the Bahamas cut a body up and fed it to some tiger sharks, a fisherman caught one of the sharks and it puked up an arm. Drug deal gone bad or something like that.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic