Travel in Cambodia: Mondulkiri

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Travel in Cambodia: Mondulkiri

Post by snookieboi »

What are your opinions on the place. Is it worth the effort, since it is far out. Got any photos, and why aren't there posts on KaMPOT AND kEP?

:beer1:
More than just any old backpacker.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Travel in Cambodia: Mondulkiri

Post by OKW »

very beautiful, definately worth the trip. Been there 2 years ago for a few days. Waterfalls are very nice to visit. By now there is affordable bus transport to go there. We took the car and I really enjoyed the countryside on the way. Hotel and homestays are cheap and everywhere, and I noticed they had good coffee, bread and cheese in the city. I sensed some french heritage with the food. I have no pics, but really think you would enjoy it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Went thru both last August; I preferred Rattankari but Mondulkiri is very nice
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"and I noticed they had good coffee, bread and cheese in the city. I sensed some french heritage with the food."

Thanks for the mini report; I too have been there and enjoyed it immensely. My favorite watering hole there was Chill, a great little bar owned by a Swedish couple. The clientele was a mix of locals and foreigners and the bar snacks were cheap and good. Worth a trip back if you missed it!

Years ago I was friends with a Dutch lady, since deceased, who owned a restaurant there. Her main complaint was that she had to shop for her provisions for foreign food in Phnom Penh. So I am curious about the good cheese you found. Was it sold in delis or are you talking about cheese used in restaurant dishes. And as for the bread I found it to be the run of the mill Cambodian offerings. No variety as in Europe, most especially for n Germany. Also I think that the Influence (French) you found is due mostly from expat /owners and has little to do with the classical French influence in traditional Khmer cooking. Anyway, thanks for the memories.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

snookieboi wrote: What are your opinions on the place. Is it worth the effort, since it is far out. Got any photos, and why aren't there posts on KaMPOT AND kEP?

:beer1:
Just tap it in the search box...
Mondolkiri
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/the-roa ... t4202.html
Kep and Kampot
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/the-roa ... lit=kampot
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post626 ... pot#p62666
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post102 ... lit=Kampot#
Etc.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Thanks everyone for the help. I will research this worthy destination forthwith! :thumb:

:beer3:
More than just any old backpacker.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More on Mondulkiri:
What to do in Mondulkiri (waterfalls and trekking edition)
9 March 2017
http://www.movetocambodia.com/blog/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

taabarang wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:09 am "and I noticed they had good coffee, bread and cheese in the city. I sensed some french heritage with the food."

Thanks for the mini report; I too have been there and enjoyed it immensely. My favorite watering hole there was Chill, a great little bar owned by a Swedish couple. The clientele was a mix of locals and foreigners and the bar snacks were cheap and good. Worth a trip back if you missed it!

Years ago I was friends with a Dutch lady, since deceased, who owned a restaurant there. Her main complaint was that she had to shop for her provisions for foreign food in Phnom Penh. So I am curious about the good cheese you found. Was it sold in delis or are you talking about cheese used in restaurant dishes. And as for the bread I found it to be the run of the mill Cambodian offerings. No variety as in Europe, most especially for n Germany. Also I think that the Influence (French) you found is due mostly from expat /owners and has little to do with the classical French influence in traditional Khmer cooking. Anyway, thanks for the memories.

My visit was more recent, and I will go back. I did not expect the variety of bread as one would find in Germany, and really appreciated the fact that there was cheese at all. I am not too demanding, but remembered some remote travel in Thailand where I found none of the above. The nice hotel I stayed was right on a lake, they had a little deli and the owners were Khmer. I have noticed more French expats in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia and have found them in other former French influenced regions of the world as well. Germans did colonise little only, there lanuage is not spoken in many places and their food is harder to find. I enjoy anything from France , Italy and Russia for food. Great to see more Mexican coming about as well. German tourists we find, few stay as expats. No judgement wheter that is good or bad, but makes it a bit harder for those who want to stay on. You are as welcome to my humble memories as is the OP.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

I did expect the foreign products to come into Cambodia via Phnom Phen as much as I do expect them to come into the Sudan via Khartoum or Kabul for Afghanistan.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

im planning this trip for around the end of the month want to do both provinces
although i heard (this from BDS) that lots of the forrests have been chopped down and its sad to see
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic