WTF. Barang begging in Khmer restaurant, Phnom Penh.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

WTF. Barang begging in Khmer restaurant, Phnom Penh.

Post by Anchor Moy »

:shock:
Sitting in the 126 noodle restaurant behind Psar Kandal this afternoon, a blond westerner came in and went from table to table begging for money for food from the locals. There was loads of noise and I didn't realise what he was doing at first, but he was miming the unmistakable "nyam nyam give me money for food". We were the only foreigners there and were seated right at the back so the guy didn't see us right away - then he left in a hurry when he saw us.
He was blond, about 30-40yo, wore a beanie, medium height, didn't look particularly starving or sick (but is possibly a bit crazy), rode off on a bicycle.

Anyone seen him around ? He looked quite normal at first view. That's what got me the most really.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: WTF. Barang begging in Khmer restaurant, Phnom Penh.

Post by Username Taken »

I was going to suggest bkktrapper, but then I got to the part where you said, "He looked quite normal at first view". :facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:15 pm I was going to suggest bkktrapper, but then I got to the part where you said, "He looked quite normal at first view". :facepalm:
Lol. I could be wrong. Didn't have my glasses with me.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There have been quite a few western beggars over the years, but most just hit up foreign tourists. I think the locals just find it amusing. There was an article about it years back and a few locals remarked that it helped them understand that foreigners were just like anyone else, they could be rich or poor. I suppose before then they had only seen fairly affluent foreigners around. They said they felt pity on the foreign beggars, because they were far from home and seemed crazed.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Wore a beanie... Probably a trustfund kid out "finding" himself.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I miss Jamie, I wonder how his life is now. He should write a book, it would make a great mini series. I saw the Canadian/ Laotian scammer at the riverside regularly a few months ago.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

willyhilly wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:27 pm saw the Canadian/ Laotian scammer at the riverside regularly a few months ago.
He's Cambodian, lived in the US for a long time, did a long stretch for gang-related activities, got deported.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 pm There have been quite a few western beggars over the years, but most just hit up foreign tourists. I think the locals just find it amusing. There was an article about it years back and a few locals remarked that it helped them understand that foreigners were just like anyone else, they could be rich or poor. I suppose before then they had only seen fairly affluent foreigners around. They said they felt pity on the foreign beggars, because they were far from home and seemed crazed.
That's what they are finding out. A lot of them still think every foreigner is rich. I've told my wife, these people save all year and come here for a couple weeks or a month to enjoy it. When all you see is those people there's no wonder they think we're all swimming in money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic