US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

1 problem with that,to open an account with Bangkok bank u need be on a long term visa and/or hold a wp
you can not open one with a tourist visa.

easy way,
go back to the states, open any account and have the ss direct deposited there an use the atm card to withdraw cash.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
HWpogi
Tourist

Post by HWpogi »

You can open an acct by mail at wellsfargo.com You just need SS # , that you have as u get a check and 1 ID as in passport, Any nationality cqan have a US bank acct except citizens of like North Korea , Iraq ecc.
maco
Tourist

Post by maco »

I am in the same spot. Was using Bangkok Bank, but new immigration law makes travel there impractical.

Here is what I know so far:

1. There are not banks in Cambodia with which SSA will use for direct deposit.

2. SSA can send your checks to the embassy to pick up.

3. Problem is finding a bank here to deposit check. No bank in Sihanoukville will accept international checks.

4. So, hoping to find one in Phnom Penh that does.

5. Otherwise, seems only option is to physically send the check to friend in US to deposit and send funds once cleared.

6. No good way to send funds from US to here. Eg, paypal does not come here, and moneygram does not go there.

In conclusion, I am a long way from working this out. Please share your insights with me as you learn them.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Hi maco,
I have been depositing my checks in Cambodian Public Bank. It was touch and go with the Kampong Cham branch, a lot of left hands not knowing there was a right hand, much less knowing what it was doing. To cut to the chase that is the only bank I know of in Cambodia that will accept them. So my advice is go directly to the main bank. They will tell you what you need in terms of paperwork. It can be done but may take some time. I wonder if it would be possible after opening an account at CPB to have transfers electronically sent from your Bangkok account to CPB?

In short I've given you the Classic Comics version of my quest by trying to provide bare bones relevant info. If I've skipped something you think pertinent post again. Cheers
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:01 pm 1 problem with that,to open an account with Bangkok bank u need be on a long term visa and/or hold a wp
you can not open one with a tourist visa.

easy way,
go back to the states, open any account and have the ss direct deposited there an use the atm card to withdraw cash.
IMHO, this is the best advice. You may not have to be present in USA as I was not at the time.
If you have a surrogate, brother, sister, mum, dad or trusted friend use Schwab.
Every month return ATM fees no katter what ATM machine in SEA, ( so far)
Last year amounted to $200. +
There are others I would bet.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

HWpogi wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:31 pm You can open an acct by mail at wellsfargo.com You just need SS # , that you have as u get a check and 1 ID as in passport, Any nationality cqan have a US bank acct except citizens of like North Korea , Iraq ecc.
No, one of the requirements is that you have a USPS zip code to open an account at Wells Fargo
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

NokTang wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:29 pm Many I know here in Thailand claim the only bank you can use is Bangkok Bank. Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York City. You can arrange to have your Social Security benefit deposited directly into Bangkok Bangkok in New York which transfers it almost instantly into your Thai account, in Baht, at a fair exchange rate. This of course then could be withdrawn at an ATM or inside a bank in Cambodia with some cash advance fees. Your next question, which branches of Bangkok Bank and can you open an account with a tourist VISA I don't honestly know. I know some will and some won't. Since this would be a one off thing, get a proper tourist VISA in Phnom Penh, for Thailand, and try and open an account with Bangkok Bank.
Bangkooki bank in London does exactly the same for Brits. last ime I asked about opening a bank account in Thailand Bangkok bank would do it with just a passport, but that may have changed. Another possible option is ABA bank here. they are owned by nationa bank of Canada, which is not the national bank but an investment bank. Try any international bank that has branches in the states see if they can do it.
Cambodia is still blacklisted by some banks and card issuers. I have to call one of my banks from Thailand once a year because they will not talk to me in Cambodia!
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

How do they know you are not leaving in USA?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

kocdim wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:05 pm How do they know you are not leaving in USA?
location of the ATM that a person uses is one way
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

maco wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:55 pm I am in the same spot. Was using Bangkok Bank, but new immigration law makes travel there impractical.

Here is what I know so far:

1. There are not banks in Cambodia with which SSA will use for direct deposit.

2. SSA can send your checks to the embassy to pick up.

3. Problem is finding a bank here to deposit check. No bank in Sihanoukville will accept international checks.

4. So, hoping to find one in Phnom Penh that does.

5. Otherwise, seems only option is to physically send the check to friend in US to deposit and send funds once cleared.

6. No good way to send funds from US to here. Eg, paypal does not come here, and moneygram does not go there.

In conclusion, I am a long way from working this out. Please share your insights with me as you learn them.
Have you tried looking into the Direct Express® Debit Card ? It is set up for receiving government checks without needing a bank account.
The website says you can apply from foreign country , over the phone and have your SS check direct deposited and live outside the US.

from the website - www.USDirectExpress.com

" I received federal benefits and live outside of the United States. Can I sign up for the Direct Express® card?
Yes. If you live outside the United States, you can sign up for the Direct Express® card by calling 1 (765) 778-6290 (collect). See question 5.8 for information about the languages available when you contact the Customer Service Department. See question 3.1 for information about fees that apply to transactions made outside the United States.

Can I use the Direct Express® card outside the United States?

Yes. You can use your Direct Express® card outside the United States, wherever Debit MasterCard® is accepted. See question 3.1 for information about fees that apply when you withdraw cash or use your card to make purchases outside the United States."

I'm in the process of looking into this option, because I can't find anything else :cry:
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic