Too many boutique hotels ?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Too many boutique hotels ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

As the construction sector continues seeing a dramatic surge with investment, capping at a record $8.53 billion last year, the boom has caused ripple effects within the hospitality sector, most prominently for boutique hotels across the Kingdom.

Din Somethearith, president of the Cambodia Hotel Association (CHA) told Post Property earlier this week, “Hotel marketing plans are currently competitive, especially boutique hotels that are now facing radical challenges. There are just too many boutique hotels currently, and some of them in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap are gradually closing down.”

Despite claims that small hotels and several boutique hotels are being overshadowed by larger, more renowned hotels, Somethearith could not confirm the exact figure, only saying: “Due to a large number of enormous hotels, small ones cannot compete. It’s like we do handmade crafts while they are like factories, so in economic sector the small ones can’t beat the big guns.”

While at first glance the hotel market is seemingly dandy thanks to the increase in the number of tourists – with 5.7 million entering Cambodia last year compared to 5.4 million in 2015 – and the simultaneous increase of the number of hotels, a deeper look reveals some fractures...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-prope ... e-problems
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Too many boutique hotels ?

Post by hanno »

The hotel market hasn't been "dandy" for at least the last 3-4 years. Whilst more and more hotels come online, ADR (average daily rate) is dropping.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Great for me... Same will happen for condos in the next few years I'd imagine.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:04 am Great for me... Same will happen for condos in the next few years I'd imagine.
No doubt in my mind. Sooner rather than later I believe.
Even if prices fell 50% the contracts offered are so ambiguous as to who, how, when routine common area maintenance is performed I still would not be a player.
LeesaJohnson
Expatriate

Post by LeesaJohnson »

I think that as the visitors will increase these hotels and restaurants will be increasing day by day and for that construction sector will continue.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Two questions. How long have you lived here? And secondly what demographics do you base your optimistic prediction on?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic