Convert food crops to rubber, says Ministry of Agriculture.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Convert food crops to rubber, says Ministry of Agriculture.

Post by taabarang »

I took no stand on the issue. I was simply presenting factual information on the main issue of rubber trees and sub crops. I don't call my neighbors stupid but sometimes uneducated. Except sometimes when they drive. Then I call them fucking stupid if appropriate.
Last edited by taabarang on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i think any khmer taking the government offer need to think carefully, most that do take up that offer dont have much choice (i think), like what the above poster said, rubber trees need couple of years to mature in order to produce any sap and at that meantime mostly they will hv to suck on air, had a friend in malaysia who trades rubber, whatever the price range the government sets u hv to accept, no 2 ways abt it (that was 10yrs ago i think, might change now), he got fedup and started his own surgical rubber gloves, condom factory etc, coz the finish product is not price controlled by the government.

conclusion, these fuckers at the government used their powers to suckered these farmers in, controlled their prices after that, and if they fail they would take back the land etc, there is so much more in between the lines, so far its just my speculation based on my past knowledge in another country so dont flame me abt this, cheers :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

No flames from me. It sounds like a warning worth heeding.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

The KHMER TIMES reported someone in the Agribiz business (?) as saying that small landowners are far better off planting mangoes - a better idea unless one is
planting on a Trumpian YUUUGE scale.

Too busy this minute to find the edition - SORRY
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Rattanakiri is a shit place to grow rubber. It's much more productive in the lowlands.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

But there's still a bit of forest to clear cut there. Need an excuse to cut it...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

I thought it was common knowledge that the large scale plantations were primarily setup as a means of legally logging (and illegally near the outer boundaries of the concessions) to make the easy money, providing a large cushion for the wait till the rubber flows, practically the icing on the cake as the funds from logging would cover a large chunk of the entire concession if be.
I don't see how existing farmers can benefit from this by transitioning from farmland and so they will languish on foreign loans, (does this gov ever loan their own $$), only to be taken to the cleaners by internal fixed pricing and greedy middlemen(ie. companies run by those proposing the measures) when the rubber does start flowing. Unfortunately most of the farners are uneducated and curiously easily persuaded by the snake oil salesmen of the gov and associated orgs, and also succumb to the 'get rich quick' mentally that some of them see from the urban population and connected upper that they aspire to themselves (albeit on lower scale). In the end it rarely works out.
Just look at the mango farmers, in season they sell for around 300r/kg to the middlemen only for them to turn around and sell it for 2500-3500r/kg in the larger cities. If they try to establish a small network beyond the local town, they face opposition! Now imagine when they grow a product (rubber) that cannot be sold locally at all and is subsidised in neighbouring countries, and even in Cambodia by means of logging large land consessions awarded to Asian multinationals and the few Khmer close to HE by means of backroom deals, only a fraction of the money ever making to the national coffers, if that. How many large plantations are there that have been established on already deforested land where there's no profit to be made till tapping? There's an intereting chart out there correlating the amount of logging relative to the number of land concessions awarded, the majority of which are for rubber plantations.
If the gov was actually inclined to help the small scale farmers and not just use them for their own benefit, there would be a trend of increasing food independency for the country, development of good infrastructure to provide water for multiple rice crops per year (as Thailand did a decade ago), establishing irrigated farmland near rivers for vegatable crops etc. Instead in nearly two decades of decent stability, the gov still has their hands out to foreign donors for dubious initiatives, pocketing a good chunk and quick to profit off their fellow countrymen whenever possible, whilst food dependency increases and the quality of imports remains highly questiobable ie. buyer beware!/rant
As times it seems the only way forward would be for all foreign aid to be withheld and the eventual discontent and possible revolt to happen. However, given the nature of human greed, the same scenario as we see now would most likely replicate itself once again.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic