Potential expat...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Notthereyet
Tourist

Re: RE: Re: Potential expat...

Post by Notthereyet »

prettyvacant wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:
If you live rurally, you could probably get by on the amount you could get on upwork as an HTML-jockey
highly unlikely.
you have zillions of indians and pakistanis who are full stack devs to compete with who know their stuff and will work for $5/hr
I know. I sometimes hire them. But always as the very last option. I also get outsourced work where I pitch myself as "I am not Indian" and "I am perfectly fluent in the English language". Also, $5 per hour is what we are talking about as "get by" in a rural setting. I guessed that the OP had enough web-skills since he talked about skin-tones as "#FFFFFF". Or maybe he has enough skills to work with Photoshop.

But as the other people here said, 2K is probably not enough to get started, with the unavoidable 'Vietnamese girl walked away with my computer' mishap that will probably befell the OP within the first week.
LOL
Vietnameese girls walking around all tech-savy, aye?
Yeah, i do have some photoshop skills.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: RE: Re: Potential expat...

Post by walkjivefly »

Notthereyet wrote: Vietnameese girls walking around all tech-savy, aye?
No, but they know how to steal stuff and sell it on pronto.
David Stearn
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Potential expat...

Post by David Stearn »

Interested to know how this worked out. Did you ever go?
The Doctor will see you now.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

:popcorn:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
zillah
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Potential expat...

Post by zillah »

[/quote]
2 grand is enough but keep in mind you may get sick or something delaying your ability to start your job .
[/quote]

This. Do you have a good health insurance policy that will cover you here? If not, stay put. You will quite likely get ill or injured, sooner or later, and if you're uninsured, you'll need cash for every scrap of medical care.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why does everyone harp on and on about health insurance and say its a deal breaker? Been in SE aisa 34 out of the last 36 years an never had it..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:04 pm why does everyone harp on and on about health insurance and say its a deal breaker? Been in SE aisa 34 out of the last 36 years an never had it..
Gofundme seems to be the cheapest form of paying for medical bills.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:04 pm why does everyone harp on and on about health insurance and say its a deal breaker? Been in SE aisa 34 out of the last 36 years an never had it..
Jinxed.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I only noticed this thread again. If what the OP was saying was true he could have gained employment and done ok. I hope so at least.
I personally wouldn't advise anyone to move here right now, a lot of people who weren't well established are leaving.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic