Transport business in Sihanoukville? Advice, relevant info, opinions etc all appreciated

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: Transport business in Sihanoukville? Advice, relevant info, opinions etc all appreciated

Post by Raybull »

At some point, maybe sooner than later, there'll be an opportunity for proper refrigerated transport company. If you come here and have a few million and become friends with a few Oknas, it might be worth pursuing as a partnership if you have relevent business skills in that area.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Transport business in Sihanoukville? Advice, relevant info, opinions etc all appreciated

Post by Luigi »

youngbritmale wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to this site so please bear with me. I have been contemplating moving to Cambodia, namely Sihanoukville, for some time, however my main concern is my skill set. That's not to say I'm not interested in learning new things, but at the moment want to stick to my strengths. I have owned 2 sole trader businesses in the uk, window cleaning and vehicle movements. None of these i'd imagine are replicable in Cambodia and to be honest have no interest in either, but with the port in Sihanoukville, I was thinking of the possibility of a small, owner operated single vehicle transport business, mainly dealing with small goods movements (pallets etc). Information online is scarce. But my main question really, is with the right kit, networking and advertising, could it work? Language is something I can work on so i'm not too concerned about that as it will improve over time, but my biggest concern is to invest in the start up costs etc and then to find it is sort of a closed market, and what I mean by that, is it monopolised by big players and there isn't enough of a market for anyone else? Traveling the entirety of Cambodia isn't an issue but I'm sure these more efficient ways to transport for the longer distances. I'm certainly willing to put the effort and time in but would very much like a much better work life balance if I were to make the move. Does anyone have an insight to how the port works, I was looking at the website and came to the conclusion it is owned by the Cambodian government, would that suggest a tender based system to procure the work? Anyone seen it being done?
Regards Owen.

I am reminded of some advice a seasoned captain I once asked if I could make a go of earning a living in the charter boat bidnez.

His condensed answer was that if I bring a small fortune then I would leave with a lesser one.
His advice proved most astute.

But I had a marvelous time.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Raybull wrote:At some point, maybe sooner than later, there'll be an opportunity for proper refrigerated transport company. If you come here and have a few million and become friends with a few Oknas, it might be worth pursuing as a partnership if you have relevent business skills in that area.
seen refridgerated around alr, transporting ice cream and moonlighting transporting other things as well, seen refridgerated tuk tuks as well
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

bolueeleh wrote:
Raybull wrote:At some point, maybe sooner than later, there'll be an opportunity for proper refrigerated transport company. If you come here and have a few million and become friends with a few Oknas, it might be worth pursuing as a partnership if you have relevent business skills in that area.
seen refridgerated around alr, transporting ice cream and moonlighting transporting other things as well, seen refridgerated tuk tuks as well
Ice cream is probly the only thing worth it for them right now, 3000r per tiny scoop at my cafe so the mark up is good. Not enuff volume yet for real business, when the market is there, one of the usuals will be on it in a flash. For a country thats gotten and taken so much foreign money, there's very few foreigners making it in straight business ops.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

"ice cream" in cambodia taste like meat!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic