Sihanoukville blackouts and opennet

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Sihanoukville blackouts and opennet

Post by obelisks »

why not buy a generator? they are only around $1000

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:well i remember two that were 2 plus hours and one went for 4 hours
Actually I remember 3 that were 4 plus hours and one went on for 8 hours.
well i actually remember 4 that were 4 plus hours and two that went on for 8 hours

so there
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
LionsLeftTesticle wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:well i remember two that were 2 plus hours and one went for 4 hours
Actually I remember 3 that were 4 plus hours and one went on for 8 hours.
well i actually remember 4 that were 4 plus hours and two that went on for 8 hours

so there
My Willy is bigger than your Willy.
jmap
Expatriate

Post by jmap »

Thanks for the replies. Good call on the fibr connection.

For power, I actually thought about generators since they're really cheap now but to be honest Im sure I'll be too lazy to set it up during blackouts.

My initial plan was to fly directly there. I guess the easiest for me would be to establish a residence in pp first then visit a few weeks at a time to make preparations/assessments.

Thanks.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

jmap wrote:Thanks for the replies. Good call on the fibr connection.

For power, I actually thought about generators since they're really cheap now but to be honest Im sure I'll be too lazy to set it up during blackouts.

My initial plan was to fly directly there. I guess the easiest for me would be to establish a residence in pp first then visit a few weeks at a time to make preparations/assessments.

Thanks.
Even easier would be to book yourself a decent hotel or guesthouse with a generator in Sihanoukville for a couple of weeks while you look around. Definitely wouldn't recommend going back and forth between PP and SHV if you don't have to. Short-term accomodation is better value in SHV anyway, and you will get a better idea of which area of SHV you want to live in.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Unless you are a demented bald Russian getting to shv from PP takes 5 hours plus, going back and forth eats a lot of time and money
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

obelisks wrote:why not buy a generator? they are only around $1000

The $1000 ones are only 1000w.When you running a fridge and TV, any more load, say boiling a kettle would be a problem. The 7000w would be ok but $4500 + shipping. Then where to put it so it don't go missing, the noise, the fumes etc.

In the recent cuts, sometimes our grid came back on, but the Openet ISP we have, didn't give us internet! (Managed to connect to my neighbour friend's Metfone signal though! :thumb: ) The ISP on different grid I would think, so your generator wouldn't solve that.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I got an EP7000 which does the job. They sell for $800 here. Mine fell off the back of a lorry so I only paid $500
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

Fourkinnel wrote:
obelisks wrote:why not buy a generator? they are only around $1000

The $1000 ones are only 1000w.When you running a fridge and TV, any more load, say boiling a kettle would be a problem. The 7000w would be ok but $4500 + shipping. Then where to put it so it don't go missing, the noise, the fumes etc.

In the recent cuts, sometimes our grid came back on, but the Openet ISP we have, didn't give us internet! (Managed to connect to my neighbour friend's Metfone signal though! :thumb: ) The ISP on different grid I would think, so your generator wouldn't solve that.
When I lived in Laos I had a Honda inverter generator it cost around 40,000 Baht in Thailand. Lightweight, ultra-portable, very fuel efficient, quiet. It ran a fridge and TV easily, it could also run my air con if I unplugged the fridge. Sometimes when you run your generator you may have to unplug your fridge if you want to use your induction cooker or toaster.

Unless the power goes more than 2 hours or so you don't need to run a fridge anyway. So for $1,200 you can easily get a generator that is easy to use and will run your fridge a fane and your wifi to keep the internet on. If you also need air con you have to choose between the fridge and the aircon which is no big deal.

The inverter models hardly even run when not being taxed. You wouldn't be bothered be one on your balcony if you ran the cord through a window. If my apartment building didn't have a generator I would not live down there with out having my own. 7000KW is way more than anybody in a single apartment would need. The other way to play the game is simply have a battery bank with 6 deep cycle batteries hooked up to a inverter if you don't need to keep a fridge cold.

The little Hondas these days pack amazing power for their size these days.

Edited to say if your air con is large or an old dinosaur it probably won't run it. So the typical air con in a cheap Cambodian place is unlikely to work as they are usually old and shitty.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic